Can a create an arbitrary data stream using the Digilent 410-338 pattern generator?

Raj62

Question

Digital Pattern Generator   Channels 16 Sample Rate 100 MS/s Bandwidth 50MHz Voltage Range 1.2V to 3.3V (5V compatible) Bus output Counters and Custom

Above part is available on Digikey .  Can I create an user-define bit stream ? (

see attachment).  The duty cycle may vary from bit to bit.  Although the duty cycle will vary,  the period will be fixed,  typically at 0.8 mS, for all bits.    I need to define and generate about 

200 such bits,  then repeat them over and over 

I would like software that allows me to easily define those 200 bits and download them into the pattern generator 

==========================================

Example:  period is 0.8 millisecondsIMG-5501(2).thumb.JPG.f06ee445cdf80da15c3a16ac7a18f1a6.JPG fixed  Let  0 = 20 percent duty cycle,  let 1 = 40 percent duty cycle

I want to generate  010100011111001000    etc  ,  200 bits total,  then  repeat them over  and over for 1 second or so

now,  let period be 0.5 milliseconds fixed,  I want to generate

111000011000101010101... etc,   200 bit total ,  then repeat them over and over for 1 second or so 

3 answers to this question

Hi @Raj62

The Digital Discovery has 16 digital IOs and 24 input only lines, system frequency adjustable between 50-100(125MHz), Logic Analyzer up to 8bit@800MHz, 256MiB of DDR RAM. The Pattern Generator with 32Ki samples/channel and play mode, for regenerating long captures or custom pattern, is available from Logic Analyzer.
If you also need analog capabilities, inspect signals analog/digital signals or generate analog waveforms, I recommend Analog Discovery 3.
The AD3 has 16 digital IOs, system frequency adjustable between 50-125MHz. The Pattern Generator with up to 32Ki samples/channel.

The software and device features can be explored in demo mode.
The pattern can be drawn manually, pasted in the table, imported from text/csv file, generated from the Script tool, or device controlled by custom app/script.
If you want to generate 200 pulses with let say 10% duty resolution (10bit/pulse), this requires only 2000 fixed rate pattern bits.

image.png

thanks for the help.  If using the Analog Discovery 3 to generate my custom bit stream: 

"User-defined arbitrary waveforms: defined within WaveForms software user interface or using standard tools (e.g. Excel)"

-the WaveForms software is free and requires no license ?

-I can load a csv (comma seperated values) file into WaveFroms to help create a custom bit stream ,  then use the Analog Discovery 3 to generate the waveform? 

thanks