Time Interval between successive channels while logging data in an MCC118

Sai Mouli

Question

Hello everyone,

While logging the sample data  from various channels in an MCC118 , I was wondering if the number of channels also affect the time interval between samples ? Say for example, I had activated only channel 0 and channel 1 for a scan rate of 100 samples per second. Would the result be like,

Time interval between samples =  1000/100Hz = 10ms

Time interval between Channels = 1/(sample_rate *  No_of_channels) = 1000/(100Hz*2) = 5 ms

Hence forth while assigning time stamp to samples the end result give rise to,

Sample No                         Channel 0                          Channel 1

1                                            0                                          5ms

2                                           10ms                                   15ms

3                                           20ms                                  25ms

4                                           30ms                                   35ms

and so on ................

Would the above be the real case?. In the hardware overview, it was given that for an internal scan clock with a conversion time of 8 micro seconds the time interval between successive channel could be neglected. Could someone please clarify this doubt for me and let me know if there is a flaw in my understanding. 

Thank You,

Yours Sincerely,

Sai Mouli Manohar Rao

1 answer to this question

The MCC 118 can acquire data at rates up to 100k hz for a single channel. If you were to enable two channels, they would be sampled 8uS apart.  For each scan clock cycle, both channels are sampled one after the other in rapid succession.  Sampling both at 100 S/s would look like this:

Sample No                         Channel 0                          Channel 1

1                                            0                                         8us

2                                           10ms                                  10.008ms

3                                           20ms                                  20.008ms

4                                           30ms                                  30.008ms