USB-Quad08 to divide encoder signal

mO.Om

Question

I have an application where I need to take an encoder and for every 25 counts, I need generate a pulse of some duration.

I have the USB-QUAD-08 and have been successful in getting the encoder to roll over at 25 counts.

As far as the pulse generation, I can program a continuous pulse, but really need a single pulse when my count is reached.  I’ve tried setting the pulse count to 1 but get a continuous pulse stream.  According to the documentation I have found that the pulse count is ignored for this device.  Is there a workaround for this?

Assuming I can get the single pulse output:

I do not see any means of connecting these two events.  Is it possible to trigger an event based off of an encoder rollover?

3 answers to this question

Hello @mO.Om.

Which software application or development language are you using?

Please elaborate "successful in getting the encoder to roll over at 25 counts".

What is the output rate of your encoder's counts?

There is no event option to trigger an output, other than your application waiting for each 25 counts and then having the software toggle a digital output line.

Regards,

Fausto

Software is visual studio and language is c++.

Using sample applications writing an encoder count to the screen and using the modulo parameter, the count rolls over from 25 to 0 as intended.

Encoder output rate is not relevant at this time.  I am using a manually turned rotary encoder for testing purposes.

Can the device toggle the digital output when the 25 count is reached (desired) or must this be done in my program (undesired)? 

The pdf manual states that when used as terminal count outputs and configured for modulo the output will go high when the max limit is reached and then go low when the count comes off the max limit.  How do I configure this output?