InstaCal doesn't find hardware, stops and exits

jjohn

Question

I have downloaded the current "CD" file and installed it on a Win 7 Pro PC. There were no error messages or warnings. I have a USB-1208FS, my client has one of these plus a PCI-DIO24H. On my Win 7 PC, when the 1208 is plugged in, InstalCal opens but will stop and exit after a few seconds. On the client's system, the USB devices sometimes shows in InstaCal, but not the DIO24H

On the client's PC, both devices show up under DAS Components in Device Manager, nothing shows on my Win 7 PC. On my Win 11 PC, the USB1208 will appear in with the printers, cameras, etc.

Is it possible the new CD package doesn't work with Win 7? If so, is there an older version available?

John

7 answers to this question

Hello @jjohn.

Is Windows 7 required for you or your client?  If so, installed all released service packs for Windows 7 and then install the current version of InstaCal v6.74.  If you continue to have issue(s), please elaborate with details and specifications (hardware and software).

Other than InstaCal, what do you use for software application(s) with those MCC devices?

If you install the current version of InstaCal on your Windows 11 system, is the USB-1208FS detected by InstaCal?

Here is a link to the MCC DAQ software archive folder.  https://mcc.download.ni.com/#Archive/MCCDAQ_CD/

Regards,

Fausto

We're stuck with Windows 7 for now. I believe the client's PC is updated as far as it went.

In device manager, both MCC devices are shown, but with yellow warning icons.  The driver dates are 5/25/2023. On both devices, Device Manager says  

image.png.563eb12756ce53586710c1d27dbe3f01.png

There was a new motherboard installed, and somehow a folder "C:\Windows.old was created.

The hardware is an I7 from a few years ago; we've never had trouble due to insufficient computer resources.

Let me know if there is anymore info that would help.

I will check out the software archives

John

@jjohn,

Are the USB-1208FS and PCI-DIO24H recognized by InstaCal and functioning on your client's system? 

Which OS version and InstaCal version are installed on the client's system?

With regards to your system configurations, are you using Windows 7 and Windows 11 systems?

Are you having issues with both Windows 7 and Windows 11 systems?

Did you install the service packs for Windows 7?

With regards to your Windows 11 system configuration, uninstall all Measurement Computing software, power off the system, disconnect the MCC devices, restart the system,and then reinstall the latest MCC DAQ software.  Connect the MCC devices afterwards. Also, run Windows updates on this system.

https://mcc.download.ni.com/#downloads/MCCDaqCD/

Regards,

Fausto

Edited by Fausto
run Windows updates

I will have to check some of the precise details on the software versions.

The client's PC is Win 7 Pro, and the MCC software is only a few days old. InstaCal does not see the hardware. Device manager sees the hardware, with the correct name, but shows driver signature errors.

I will do a remote session to get more info.

John

@jjohn,

Do you have access to the Windows 7 system or was it shipped to the client?

Microsoft released updates after Windows 7 Service Pack 1.  Please install those updates.

Next, find out which version of InstaCal is installed on that machine.

If you are able to install the additional Windows 7 service packs and InstaCal v6.74 is installed, but it still shows an issue, then uninstall InstaCal to rollback to an older version.  Use the following link to download and install InstaCal v6.51.

https://mcc.download.ni.com/#Archive/MCCDAQ_CD/Archive_6.51/

Is this system used for client applications or is the system used to just test the boards?

You mentioned that a new motherboard was installed to run Windows 7 64-bit and Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7.  We recommend migrating to a supported version of Windows, if the issue cannot be resolved.

Regards,

Fausto

I found a link for SP2, but the download fails. The Instacal version is 6.74, I checked an old one on the HD and it was 6.53, so I got that archive file.

We uninstalled everything that looked like MCC, plus ACCESS PIC-DIO24DH, from ACCESIIO.com. It looks like they might be a reseller or something. I didn't ask the client where it came from; it could have been a desperate attempt to find a driver. We may have some of those ahead of us for MS ocx files.

Afterwards, I installed from the "CD" 6.53 and it looks much better. Device manager has ? marks by the devices but no warnings or errors, and the drivers are now MCC supplied and not generic Microsoft.

We've got some other things to work out before we see if the hardware actually works, but it looks much, much better now.

Thanks,

John