The Digilent Genesys 2 board

Andrii Dumik

Question

Hello everybody,

I wanted to know if the Genesys 2 board supports JESD204b interface? I see it has the FMC HPC connector and I am currently looking for a board to interface with my AD9094-1000EBZ ADC. So is it possible to do that with this board?

Regards

Andrii

1 answer to this question

Not all FMC mezzanine cards are compatible with any FPGA carrier board

ADI has fairly good FPGA support for it's FMC evaluation boards but it doesn't extend to all of them. If they provide example projects for your FPGA board or one that's similar ( KC705 and Genesys2 ) then the odd are pretty much in your favor. For this EVM it appears that the user is supposed to purchase a special evaluation platform. No demo project provided.

The only way to determine compatibility is to compare schematics for the carrier and mezzanine boards. A problem that you are likely to face is IP for JES204B in Vivado. The ADI ADS7-V2EBZ HIGH SPEED EVALUATION BOARD would seem to render that unnecessary.

Is it possible to circumvent the expense of a limited use evaluation platform and connect an EVM to a 3rd party vendor's FPGA board? If you can find evidence that someone has done it, perhaps. If you can't are you willing to spend a lot of money and time to find out?

Note: the ADS7-V2EBZ is based on a Virtex 7 device and likely uses transceivers not available on a Kintex 7. I haven't bothered to check that out but it's fairly likely as Xilinx tends to segregate transceiver types by families ( cost point ).