USRP for fast processing of time-binned data

Nimmerlein

Question

Good morning! 

I've got the following application and I am wondering whether the USRP would be a good solution for it. 

I have two data streams (constant voltages in time bins with 50ns width, not quantised) coming from two detectors. I need to process these with fairly simple but reconfigurable processing operations (such as for example: adding/subtracting the two streams, or sum neighbouring bins in one of the streams and then add). This should also happen reasonably fast (ideally not longer than 15 microseconds for the whole of the processing), as I want to control another component with this processed stream which needs to happen within a certain time frame. 

I am wondering whether a USRP product would be suitable for this. It seems particularly attractive as it appears to contain everything needed to get started out of the box, namely the FPGA, an ADC and DAC (which seem to sample fast enough for my purpose here) as well as even the right connectors. The only thing that I am not sure about now, is whether the whole thing would likely be fast enough and if I overlooked anything. Perhaps someone who is less of a novice than me can comment.

Thank you!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet