MCC 172 "Board not responding"

lockecaps

Question

Hi,

One of my MCC 172 Hats is not working and I can't quite understand why. If I run "daqhats_list_boards", I get (Note: address 1 is the problem):

Address: 0
Type: MCC 172
Hardware version: 2
Name: MCC 172 IEPE HAT
Firmware version:   1.01

Address: 1
Type: MCC 172
Hardware version: 2
Name: MCC 172 IEPE HAT
Can't open device

And nothing I tried could fix it. running a scan_stop, scan_cleanup, the board doesnt respond to anything.

Is this board simply permanently damaged, or is there something I could do to fix it?

3 answers to this question

Hello @lockecaps.

Which Raspberry Pi module and OS are you using?

Please remove both MCC 172 boards.  Next, remove the address jumper from the second board and install just that MCC 172 onto the RPi.  Restart the RPi and run the MCC DAQ HAT MANAGER to test the board.  The MCC DAQ HAT Manager can be found under the Raspberry->Accessories.  Press the 'Read EEPROMs button and then press the 'List Devices' button.  Does the application report 'Can't open device'?  If it does, check your RPI configuration (Raspberry->Preferences->RPI Configuration->Interfaces) to verify the SPI and I2C options are enabled.  

What are the specifications of your RPi power supply?  If the power supply is not rated for 5 V and 3 A, then please locate a power supply with those specifications and retest both MCC 172 boards.  Be sure to set the jumper address on the second MCC 172 board when retesting the boards.

Regards,

Fausto

On 6/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, Fausto said:

Hello @lockecaps.

Which Raspberry Pi module and OS are you using?

Please remove both MCC 172 boards.  Next, remove the address jumper from the second board and install just that MCC 172 onto the RPi.  Restart the RPi and run the MCC DAQ HAT MANAGER to test the board.  The MCC DAQ HAT Manager can be found under the Raspberry->Accessories.  Press the 'Read EEPROMs button and then press the 'List Devices' button.  Does the application report 'Can't open device'?  If it does, check your RPI configuration (Raspberry->Preferences->RPI Configuration->Interfaces) to verify the SPI and I2C options are enabled.  

What are the specifications of your RPi power supply?  If the power supply is not rated for 5 V and 3 A, then please locate a power supply with those specifications and retest both MCC 172 boards.  Be sure to set the jumper address on the second MCC 172 board when retesting the boards.

Regards,

Fausto

HI Fausto,

Apologies for the delay. I couldn't keep troubleshooting due to medical reasons that required hospitalization. Now, to answer your questions:

- Power supply is 5V / 3000 mA. I strongly doubt there's some issue with the power supply.

- SPI Interface was enabled, but I2C wasn't. I enabled it now. 

- Problem is still the same, application still can't open the device.

Note: I have, in total, 4 Pi hats. 2 of those don't work, 2 of those work. So I wouldn't point towards the Raspberry Pi being the fault one at this chain.