USB-QUAD08 with CW/CCW Signals

Ricky Ooi

Question

I have a stepper motor with pulse signal of CW+, CW-, CCW+ and CCW-. I observed that when motor rotate in clockwise direction, only CW+ and CW- are having pulse, whereas CCW+ and CCW- did not generate any pulse. Likewise, when the motor rotate in counterclockwise direction, only CCW+ and CCW- are having pulse whereas CW+ and CW- don't have any pulse. In this case, how can I connect the signal to USB-QUAD08 so that I can count up when CW+ and CW- are received, and count down when CCW+ and CCW- are received? Is there any configuration needed to be done in the .Net program code for this?

5 answers to this question

Hello @Ricky Ooi.

You could connect CW+ and CW- to one counter channel and then connect CCW+ with CCW- to a second counter channel.  Configure both channels for a counter mode set to Totalize.  In your code, you will have a 'CW' count and a 'CCW' count.  The difference between the two counts should give you overall direction.

Regards,

Fausto

I was wondering if the motor keep rotating, my counter will keep increment. When reach till max point, the counter value will automatically reset to 0? 

If the counter can be reset to 0, the difference between two channels may give wrong result. Is there any a propriate way to do this?