Can't program Genesys ZU 5EV via USB ...

mossygreen

Question

I recently got a new Genesys ZU 5EV board and have been setting up a development environment for it. The environment is Ubuntu 22.04LTS and Vivado (+Vitis, etc.) 2022.2.

The environment works just fine to program a Nexys A7 board - the hardware manager sees the device and can push a bitstream to it.

The ZU board appears to function. The out-of-box stuff works (although I certainly haven't exhaustively tested it). However, regardless of the jumper setting for JP3 (JTAG, USB, SD, or QSPI), the Vivado Hardware Manager doesn't see the device.

I believe I have the cable drivers installed (installed as per the instructions after the Xilinx install) and have no problem with the Nexys A7 board.

3 answers to this question

If you can configure the FPGA on your Nexys A7 board then it would seem to point to the Genesys ZU board.

What exactly happens when you try and connect Vivado Hardware Manager to your Genesys board? Is any target listed under the localhost?

I think it was a problem with the USB device not being attached to the VM with the ZU board. Just now I connected the Nexys board and captured what the HW manager showed. When I then plugged in the ZU board I got a dialog about whether I wanted to direct the USB device to the Mac or the Linux VM. After that, the HW manager sees the device. When I set the JP3 to JTAG I can then program the device fine.

Since the ZU board is new to me, and the getting started docs don't really talk about programming it via USB, I wasn't even certain it could be programmed that way. I'm up and running now.