Arty A7-100T USB maximum data rate?

Stephan

Question

I need to be able to reach a minimum data rate of 12Mbit with the USB of the Arty A7-100T.

Unfortunately I can't find any information if the development board can provide this data rate on the USB.

Does anybody know what the maximum data rate of the USB connection of the Arty A7-100T is?

Thanks

Stephan

3 answers to this question

What, exactly are you referring to by USB data rate?

Are you trying to use the UART? The FTDI *H USB bridge device UARTs can support up to 12 Mbaud, though you will need to use the D2XX driver and API on the USB Host side. Most other USB bridge devices support up to 3 Mbaud. Windows COM devices go up to 921600 baud if you set the baud rate from Windows Device Manager. This is suitable for USB UART communication without any flow control. I've used Putty on Win10 to communicate to an Orangepi board at 1.5 Mbaud with no flow control. All of this information pertains to ascii data, not binary data.

If you want to pass data between your board and your PC you might find this tutorial interesting: https://forum.digilent.com/topic/24531-debugging-with-the-ftxxxx-mini-modules/

The short answer is that 921600 baud rate ( ~ 90K Bytes/s ) with no flow control for ascii text characters is pretty easy for a host TTY or COM device. Above that the answer gets complicated. I don't know of any USB bridge device that supports baud rates over 12 Mbaud. Note that FTDI devices that support high baud rates can do 8 Mbaud and 12 Mbaud but nothing in between without baud rate aliasing.

I think that it might be helpful if you provided some information about what you want to do.

Note: The Nexys Video and Genesys2 boards support DPTI mode for binary data communications at 30+ MB/s. Unfortunately, trying to add this capability to the Arty A7-100T uis difficult due to the limited IO pins. Edited by zygot

Yes the idea was to use the USB from the Arty A7-100T if possible which is as far as I can tell USB UART.

After the information you provided I think it is better to switch to the Ethernet port that is also available. As there the speed should be easier to reach.

The Arty has a 100 Mbps Ethernet PHY, which has its own hurdles to jump over. If all you need is a point-point connection, I'd encourage you to figure out how implement it without having to be dependent on Xilinx MAC IP or a soft processor.