Eclypse-Z7: Create Boot Image

connoisseur_de_mimi

Question

Hi,

I'm working with an Eclypse-Z7 and have implemented a bare metal application (PS and PL) which works as expected when programming it via JTAG. I now want to program the flash, but have not been able to run the program from flash yet. I'm using vivado 2019 and vitis 2019 (as I understand, this vresion is required for the ZMod_AWG and ZMod_ADC modules):

1. I have created a boot image using the FSBL vitis has created for me, the bitstream file and the compiled bare-metal application (built using debug config):
    createbootimage.thumb.png.6dce444a74418bfe62bbf08c2236993c.png
    I can program the flash and after switching the boot select jumper to QSPI, the PL DONE indicator comes on but the device does not respond to commands via the COM port, so the program is either not running or stuck waiting for a debugger to connect.

2. I saw forum posts that suggested creating an FSBL for the project, but I cannot create the application project, vitis complains about a missing library, although I activated it in the vitis BSP settings for both domains:
    newprojectfsbl.thumb.png.b9d9fdeac7def4eba930e0befef0a5ec.png

3 answers to this question

Hey @connoisseur_de_mimi,

There are a couple of different versions of the IP floating around. Any of the low-level controllers should be able to be used in any version 2019.1 or newer, given you're implementing your own block design. Version support gets hairy when IP include drivers or you're trying to start from an existing project that relies on specific built-in IP versions.

Vitis now automatically creates an FSBL for you when you check a box in the new application project wizard. It looks like you did this since the zynq_fsbl BSP exists in your project. Xilinx SDK didn't do this, which is probably why the threads you saw recommended creating one. This means you probably already have the correct boot.bin file being generated whenever you build your system project.

This guide details how to create a boot image for Zynq boards: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/zynq-baremetal-boot

Thanks,

Arthur

10 hours ago, artvvb said:

This guide details how to create a boot image for Zynq boards: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/zynq-baremetal-boot

Hi @artvvb,

thanks for the link. I created a Binary as described but the problem remains - PL DONE comes on (and I can hear a relay switching on one of the PMODs) so the PL seems to run, but the PS program seems not to run (I cannot communicate with it via COM / UART). I have tried writing to QSPI and using an SD card, but have the same problem with both.

regards,