StaticIO is too slow

Austin

Question

I am attempting to use the built in scripting feature in Waveforms with a Digital discovery to go to 65k addresses on a DRAM. The issue is that the change times of the addresses are 10-30ms (milliseconds) long when I need them to be 10-30ns (nanoseconds) long. I double checked my wait commands, and they are set to the correct ns value, but I believe that the StaticIO is limiting my speed. Is there any way to toggle StaticIO.Channel#.DIO[#].text faster? I've included a photo of my wait command, and the resulting waveform timing.

DRAMBadWave.PNG

DRAMTiming.PNG

1 answer to this question

Hi @Austin

The StaticIO instrument is intended as slow I/O used to emulate interactable components like switches, LEDs, etc. The script runs on the computer, and there's the overhead of USB communication between the PC and the device that comes up every time you update the StaticIO instrument's text.

I'd recommend using the pattern generator instead. It has a buffer in the Digital Discovery itself and can change outputs without involving the PC. The output buffer is only 32k samples, so you might need to load it up multiple times, with substantial time gaps in between bursts. WaveForms SDK might also help improve performance, though USB communication is still required whenever switching out the buffer contents.

Thanks,

Arthur