smartphone camera interfacing with Genesys and NEXYS 4 DDR

rappysaha

Question

Hello,

I want to feed video from my smartphone camera to Genesys and want to display the video on the PC. I don't know how to interface. How should I connect my smartphone camera with Genesys board? 
I also want to do the same thing with Nexys 4 DDR board. 
Any kind of information will be helpful. 

Thank You.

5 answers to this question

Well ... the first question to ask would be what connections does your smart phone have to communicate with, and are any of these compatible with a Genesys board?  Are we talking about USB communication, or a more general HDMI type of communication?

Dan

My smartphone (Samsung S6) has microUSB port. And Genesys have both USB host and  HDMI port. But I want HDMI type of communication. But I am not sure is it compatible with Genesys board or not? If yes then how should I proceed?  

Are you using the Genesys board, or the Genesys2?  Looking at the reference manual, the Genesys2 supports USB 2.0.  This may (or may not) be fast enough for video.  Tell me, if you connect your phone to your computer via this USB plug, is there an app that lets you view video taken by your phone from your computer in real time?  If so, then video is possible over that USB connector.

As far as your HDMI question, does your phone have any HDMI connectors on it?  (I don't have an S6 to comment on what connectors it might or might not have ...)

Dan

I am working Genesys not Genesys 2. According to my knowledge, there is no such app that can display video on PC in real time. And I don't think so my phone has an HDMI port. 

So, is it possible to feed a video directly to the FPGA board and then transmit to the PC ? The link to the board: http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/1-27b7pl.html

Is there any expansion board that I need to connect to feed the video like ( VmodMIB: VHDC Module Interface Board ).  

Okay, so if I understand you correctly, there is no way to output video through the USB port on your phone (that you know of), and no other output ports to your phone that can transmit video.  So, based upon what you have told me, you would need to open your phone's case and modify the hardware within in order to accomplish your task.

This is outside of what I know how to do.  Sorry.

Dan

Archived