pmod ssd and zc706 board

mahinay

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi @mahinay,

Welcome to the forums.

Digilent doesn't provide a Pmod IP core for the Pmod SSD. That said, there should be examples out there which will fit your needs. What are you trying to practice? The route you take will differ pretty strongly depending on whether you want to get data from the Zynq processor on the ZC702 onto the display, or if you are trying to get data from elsewhere in the Zynq PL onto the display.

Thanks,

Arthur

Hi thanks for the reply, I actually tried to use a pmod ssd to my zc706 board and after inserting the pmod gpio in my block design ,I was about to re-customize IP  but the Ip interface and board interface does'nt show up . I was thinking maybe it need a IP library for my board but I can't find any

Sounds like the ZC706 board files might not have Pmod interfaces defined. In this situation, you can create external ports and write constraints for the Pmod pins manually. Check out the second half of the "Adding GPIO Peripherals to a Block Design" section of this guide on Reference: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi#add_gpio_peripherals_to_a_block_design.

Since the Pmod GPIO IP uses a different interface from the AXI GPIO, the top-level port names that need to be written into the XDC file may differ. You can check for the names you need to constrain by opening the HDL wrapper file after you've validated your block design and created the wrapper. - You should see some pins like "Pmod_out_0_pin1_io". See below for an example:

image.png

image.png

Note that you can also use the same method with an AXI GPIO IP.

Thanks,

Arthur

If bit-banging a seven segment "protocol" through GPIO isn't working well, you might consider writing a custom seven segment controller, adding it to a block design through "Add Module", and connecting it to an AXI GPIO to provide a simple interface from the processor. The custom logic might only need to include a counter that drives the C pin and a mux to select 7 from a set of 14 bits that the processor can write to.

Using this stub verilog module:

module test(
    input clk,
    input [13:0] c_data,
    output [7:0] pmod_pins
    );
endmodule

It can be wired to an AXI GPIO and external ports like this:

image.png

Thanks,

Arthur