Nexys A7 board doesnot load code from SPI Flash after power off.

kannan.sasikumar

Question

I am using a Nexys A7 board and i programmed the configurable memory device which is the spansion nor flash using the vivado ide.

Upon pressing the program reset the expected code is loaded after a few secs and expected functionality is obtained, however once i power off the board the code is not loaded until i press the prog reset again once the push button is pressed the functionality works fine.

So does the fpga only take the code from the external flash only upon the reset condition is it not applicable for power off.

FYI the JP1 jumper is in the SPI flash position during power on.

2 answers to this question

Hello Kannan,

I've run through programming the flash on the Nexys A7 this morning with Vivado 2022.1. It seemed to go smoothly. In my project settings/bitstream, enable bin_file. Next, generate the bitstream and open the device for programming. To program the flash, I selected the flash chip in the hardware manger and using a right-mouse click, chose Program Configuration Memory Device. Below, I've included a couple of pictures for clarity. On its dialog, make sure the .bin file is selected, not the .bit. Both should be in /impl_1/ in your project.runs folder. I used a simple design for this test and when I repowered the board it took a good 40 seconds for the flash to be read by the FPGA. I imagine larger designs will take longer. Wait for the ready LED to come on. If you continue to experience trouble, could you include a picture of the flash chip and your version of Vivado?

Best regards,
John

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hi John

Thank you for the replies. I am uploading the .mcs file instead of the bin file is there any difference between the two in terms of the flash programming?

Also my issue regarding the power on is resolved as u mentioned my design is bigger and hence was taking more time.

Thanks, and Regards

Kannan