Genesys ZU3 SD Card Boot Intermittent

DaleD

Question

Booting my Genesys-ZU board with the SD card that shipped with it always results in a good boot.

I tried rebuilding the OOB project in Vivado and PetaLinux.  I program my SD card, and I get a good boot with it.  If I cycle power on the Genesys-ZU, I get a failed boot, unless I leave the power switch off for a long period of time (several minutes).  Then I get a good boot again.

What could be wrong with the SD card image I created that would result in behavior like this?

Attached is the console output captured.  golden.txt is the boot with the shipped SD card, cap1.txt shows a bad boot with the card I programmed, cap2.txt shows a good boot after the board sat idle for several minutes.

golden.txt cap1.txt cap2.txt

2 answers to this question

Some SD cards work better than others, and we tested the one in the kit for compatibility at the maximum data rate supported.

Your failing images get stuck in u-boot after the BootROM and the FSBL have already successfully read the SD card. I suspect it has to do with the u-boot driver trying for UHS-I speeds at 208 MHz. Something fails during line tuning and results in errors. Going back to High-Speed mode at 3.3V should work with any SD card out there. This can be done from the device-tree: https://support.xilinx.com/s/article/69978?language=en_US.

There are plenty of bugs in the SD controller driver and you can check Xilinx's changelog here: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842090/SD+controller.

I have attached the results of boots for the "golden" image shipped with the ZU3 board, one I programmed on a Kingston SD card, and one I programmed on a Samsung SD card.  I stopped the autoboot to get to the U-Boot prompt, where I did mmc info and mmc part commands.

It looks like I have similar partitions set up compared to the golden image.  Note that both the Kingston image is flaky, (sometimes boots, mostly not), and I only on some boots does the mmc part command show the proper partition.

Comparing the golden to others, the primary differences I see are that the Kingston shows up in 1-bit wide mode, where the others a 4-bit.  The kingston also has a sdhci_set_clock timeout message.

There is also a disagreement between the Xilinx UG1144 and Digilent ZU3 Getting Started in terms of how many partitions and what type, and what files go into the partitions.

sd_golden.txt sd_kingston.txt sd_samsung.txt