Hello, community!

Hello! I'm a student entering the first year of college this coming fall with a focus in EE. I've done a few self-study projects as well as worked with my school to get FPGAs into the digital electronics curriculum. Latest project is actually a programming contest designed to get community members excited about FPGAs as a means of computation for where general-purpose computing/microcontrollers do not suffice. Currently working on a testcase validator (using an old Nexys-2 I have lying around) that connects to contestant FPGAs, sends a testcase using a serial protocol, reads the response, and validates it immediately. Also working on generating contest problems that will offer a tutorial-like learning curve in the beginning and transition into challenge problems later in the contest.

Hey Hex,

Welcome to the forum! It's very cool to hear about your endeavor to get your school to incorporate FPGAs and digital electronics into the curriculum. As you may be aware, electronics education is sort of our thing. Your validation project sounds quite neat as well! If you find yourself in need of some assistance, feel free to post any questions you might have and we will be happy to help. Good luck with your first year studying EE, you made a good decision (I'm slightly biased).

Regards,

Nate

11 hours ago, NAEastland said:

Hey Hex,

Welcome to the forum! It's very cool to hear about your endeavor to get your school to incorporate FPGAs and digital electronics into the curriculum. As you may be aware, electronics education is sort of our thing. Your validation project sounds quite neat as well! If you find yourself in need of some assistance, feel free to post any questions you might have and we will be happy to help. Good luck with your first year studying EE, you made a good decision (I'm slightly biased).

Regards,

Nate

Thanks! I think a lot of folks in this community share this (correct) bias, much as I do. I'll be sure to ask if I come across issues with the validation code (my concern being fitting validators for a lot of possibly complex contest problems into a single FPGA design and still meeting space/time constraints) although at this point it's still mainly progress through control logic and interconnection that I'm fairly familiar with.

Archived