Is USB-DIO24 slower than PCI-DIO24?

Nim

Question

Hello,

I run a python program that generate the SPI signals on the digital input/output ports on PCI-DIO24 and USB-DIO24. The problem is on the PCI-DIO24 the SPI clock frequency is 20KHZ but in the USB-DIO24 it is about 20 HZ while the Python codes on both devices are identical.

Please guide me in this matter.

13 answers to this question

@Fausto

Nim is no longer working on this project so I may follow up with more information or questions in the future.

But what we are doing is bit-banging SPI protocol on Port C of the DIO24. This has not been an issue with the PCI version but it's much slow after we have switched to the USB version.

Thanks,

Ryan

Edited by ryan_mlc
Tagging a person

On 10/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, craig.benson said:

I also have a USB-DIO24 board and a PCI-DIO24 board that I am pulsing stepper motors with and the USB-DIO24 appears to be significantly slower.  While I understand there may be some software related dependency, it seems like the write times are significantly slower.

Glad we are not the only ones having this issue. Hopefully we can get a response from MCC Staff about this.

@Faustoany input about this?

On 10/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, craig.benson said:

I also have a USB-DIO24 board and a PCI-DIO24 board that I am pulsing stepper motors with and the USB-DIO24 appears to be significantly slower.  While I understand there may be some software related dependency, it seems like the write times are significantly slower.

Have you been to figure out if there is a way to speed it up?

Hello @ryan_mlc.

There is no clock on the PCI-DIO24 board nor on the USB-DIO24 Series.  The rates are system dependent and the USB bus is significantly slower that the PCI bus.  There is no way to speed it up.

If your application requires faster rates, consider Digilent's Analog Discovery 2.

https://digilent.com/shop/analog-discovery-2-100ms-s-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/

Regards,

Fausto

45 minutes ago, Fausto said:

Hello @ryan_mlc.

There is no clock on the PCI-DIO24 board nor on the USB-DIO24 Series.  The rates are system dependent and the USB bus is significantly slower that the PCI bus.  There is no way to speed it up.

If your application requires faster rates, consider Digilent's Analog Discovery 2.

https://digilent.com/shop/analog-discovery-2-100ms-s-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/

Regards,

Fausto

Thanks for the info. We should probably try a faster computer than we are currently on.

Also, do you have a product that is more focused on just GPIO controls? That device seems to have functions well beyond our needs and is short of the 24 DIO ports needed in our current project.

Regards,

Ryan