JTAG-HS3 with Xilinx ISE 14.7 in VM on Windows 10

gsemeraro

Question

I have a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro on it and I've installed Xilinx ISE 14.7 (in Oracle VirtualBox VM as it is distributed).  I have done this before on my previous laptop which is Windows 10 Home and the JTAG-HS3 worked fine (I was able to program and debug using Impact within the VM).  With the new install of the ISE VM Impact cannot detect the JTAG-HS3 device.  When I try to manually attach the JTAG-HS3 to the VM I get an error that indicates that it failed to connect the Digilent USB Device [9000]; the error detail claim that it is busy with a previous request.

I suspect that there is something that I need to do in Windows to get the device passed into the VM.  I don't think I need to install the Digilent software since that is to allow the JTAG-HS3 to work in a native Windows installation of ISE 14.7 but this is in a VM.  Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

1 answer to this question

Hi @gsemeraro,

Digilent does not offer direct support for getting devices to work in virtual machines, though you might need to install the cable drivers, or at least the Digilent Plugin for Xilinx tools, https://digilent.com/reference/software/digilent-plugin-xilinx-tools/start. But figuring out the correct way to pass through the USB connection will be key.

In terms of the device still being connected/busy, I'm not sure how ISE connects to it, but I know for Vivado that you would need to check that there isn't an instance of the hw_server.exe still running in the Windows Task Manager which would "tie up" the JTAG connection.

Thanks,
JColvin