Problems with Nexys Video HDMI demo.

gordonrush

Question

My HDMI is never detected by Nexys Video HDMI demo, as indicated by the message "HDMI UNPLUGGED" and the lack of illumination of the HDMI HPD LED.

I'm running Vivado/Vitis 2022.1 and I've tried the "Nexys Video HDMI Demo Xilinx Tools 2020.1" and "Nexys Video HDMI Demo Vivado 2018.2-2" versions of the demo.

The built-in board demo has no problem displaying video, and the HDMI HPD LED is illuminated, so it seems that problems with the HDMI cables and input and output devices are unlikely.

6 answers to this question

Hi @gordonrush,

Usually when I run into that error I am able to get it resolved by disconnecting and then after waiting a moment, reconnecting the HDMI source cable back to the system. You didn't directly mention trying it, but there is a 2022.1 version of the demo available here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/nexys-video/demos/hdmi which a co-worker of mine verified as working regarding the video passthrough functionality.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks JColvin,

In the 2022.1 demo, The first synthesis run fails with the message

[Common 17-1294] Unable to create directory [E:/UpgradeProjects/Nexys-Video/hw/proj/hw.srcs/utils_1/imports/synth_1].

All the gen_run.xml files have paths like "E:/UpgradeProjects/Nexys-Video/hw/proj/hw.srcs/sources_1/bd/hdmi/ip/hdmi_auto_ds_0/hdmi_auto_ds_0.xci",

pointing to an e: that doesn't exist on my system.

The E:/UpgradeProjects paths were coming from the hw.xpr file and the gen_run.xml files.  I replaced all 148 instances in hw.xpr with a valid directory path (with a text editor), and synthesized again, which fixed all the errors.  I still get a critical warning for dvi2rgb, complaining about the e:/UpgradeProjects path again

[Designutils 20-1280] Could not find module 'ila_refclk'. The XDC file e:/UpgradeProjects/Nexys-Video/hw/proj/hw.gen/sources_1/bd/hdmi/ip/hdmi_dvi2rgb_0_0/src/ila_refclk/ila_v6_2/constraints/ila.xdc will not be read for any cell of this module.

Vitis isn't happy with its files because of references to E:/UpgradeProjects as well.

There has to be a better way to get rid of all the references to E:\UpgradeProjects.  There are thousands (really) of them in the 2022.1 archive.

Edited by gordonrush

Hi @gordonrush,

I will have to look into this; I was able to verify the same issue you had, which is indicative of the Vivado project not being exported/archived in a "computer agnostic" fashion.

I don't have a Nexys Video with me to directly test this, but I took the 2021.1 release version of the same project which did not generate any errors for me, so I upgraded the Vivado project from 2021.1 to 2022.1, made a .zip of that upgrade, and had a co-worker verify that the project successfully generated a bitstream for them. That file is available here: Nexys Video 22.1 Vivado upgrade from 21.1 release.

I was then able to get the existing 22.1 sw.ide Vitis import to build with this new .xsa (right click on the wrapper ->Update hardware specification), though I did have to fuss a bit with choosing the correct .xpfm and making sure the linker script was pointing into my directory instead of the original project creator's directory.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

I was able to build the new .xsa in Vivado and import it into Vitis after a bunch of global search and replace in the Vivado and Vitis directories to get rid of the E: references.

The crucial part was I extracted the Vitis sw.ide.zip file, did a search and replace on the E:UpgradeProjects string, and the rezipped the directory.  After that I had to change the path to the lscript.ld file.

It took a few tries, but the demo is running on the board now.

Edited by gordonrush