USB-231 Buffer overflow error 10017 and 29

mattyG

Question

I wrote an application in Labview for a USB-231 that has been in use for multiple years without any problems.  But, recently it has been giving us buffer overwrite errors on certain computers.  The error code is 29.  I have tried to replicate it on other computers by doing a stress test and I was been able to get a buffer overwrite error but I am getting error code 10017 instead (same error explanation but different error code).

My question is the following. What is the difference between error code 29 and error code 10017, and what condition would trigger one versus the other?

Is one error related to the hardware buffer and the other to the software buffer?

1 answer to this question

Hello @mattyG.

Which version of Windows, LabVIEW, and InstaCal do you have installed on the target system?

Was a Windows update performed on the target system recently or did you upgrade your version of LabVIEW?

What other changes (software and hardware) were made to your system 'recently'?

Is the system under your IT Dept's control or off the network?

What are the system specs of those systems that can reproduce the issue?

Per the UL Help (https://www.mccdaq.com/pdfs/manuals/Mcculw_WebHelp/ULStart.htm), error 29 is a data overrun error. 

"Data was lost during an analog input because the computer could not keep up with the A/D sampling rate. This typically can only happen with the file input functions or methods, or by using SINGLIO mode. Possible solutions include lowering the sampling rate, defragmenting the "streamer" file, switching to a RAM disk, or lowering the count."

Are you using multiple Tasks in you VI?

Can you share your VI or a screen capture?

Regards,

Fausto