Zybo Z7-20: Can I use the HDMI output as an HDMI input instead?

aowens

Question

I would like to have two HDMI inputs on the Zybo Z7-20. I see in the user manual the following about the Zybo Z7-20 board:

The Zybo Z7 contains one unbuffered source port (output, labeled HDMI TX), and one buffered sink port (input, labeled
HDMI RX). Both ports use HDMI type-A receptacles with the data and clock signals terminated and connected to the
Zynq PL. The buffer used on the HDMI RX port works by terminating, equalizing, conditioning, and forwarding the
HDMI stream between the connector and FPGA pins.

The HDMI TX port does not include a buffer for improving signal integrity, but does include an HDMI multiplexer
configured as a simple switch. This device is used to prevent displays from back-powering the Zybo Z7, and otherwise has
no effect on functionality. The benefit this adds is to make it possible to power cycle the Zybo Z7 while a display is
attached to HDMI TX, which was not possible on the Zybo.

But I am still unclear as to if it's possible to have the HDMI TX act as an HDMI RX instead.

Thank you,

aowens

1 answer to this question

Since the input HDMI interface lacks termination you can't use it as an HDMI receiver. TMDS_33 requires external termination.

Trying to get an FPGA board to do something that it was not designed to do rarely works out. If you need 2 HDMI RX ports then you need a different FPGA platform. Edited by zygot