Running Pynq Jupyter notebook examples on ARTYZ7-20

New_and_Learning

Question

Hello,

After installing pynq (https://pynq.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html) to my ARTY Z7-20 I am now attempting to work through the demos/examples.  The demo projects are hosted in jupyter notebooks as part of the pynq install like this (http://<myip>:9090/notebooks/getting_started/4_base_overlay_iop.ipynb#Contents).  I confirmed the ARTY booted up with putty and I can obviously browse to the notebooks running on the board.

In the 4th notebook there appears the following instruction:

"## Pmod DAC-ADC Feedback
This example shows how to use the <this is missing???>   and the PmodAD2 ADC on the board, using the board's two Pmod interfaces. The notebook then compares the DAC output to the ADC input and tracks the errors.
The errors are plotted using Matplotlib and an XKCD version of the plot is produced (for fun). Finally a slider widget is introduced to control the number of samples displayed in the error plot.
Note: The output of the DAC (pin A) must be connected with a wire to the input of the ADC (V1 input)."

I'm guessing the missing text <this is missing???> would be something like PmodDA1.  Expecting that to be the case I have ordered the PMOD AD2 and the PMOD DA1 devices from Digilent to plug into the two PMOD ports on the ARTY.  I want to confirm these are the correct PMOD devices for the tutorial.  Can anyone confirm the parts are the right ones to complete the above example?

Pmod DA1: Four 8-bit D/A Outputs

Pmod AD1: Two 12-bit A/D Inputs

1 answer to this question

Hi @New_and_Learning,

I suspect that the Pmod DA1 is what is being used with that demo; based on some pre-existing demos and the fact that they reference output A (which is how the Pmod DA1 outputs are labeled). I do not know this for certain if this is the exact module being used since Digilent did not make the Jupyter notebook examples, but I don't have a better guess as to what else this Pmod might be.

Thanks,
JColvin