Pmod Ia Board Open Source?

yangz3

Question

5 answers to this question

I’m wondering is the board Pmod IA an open source product? 

If so, where can I find the pcb files of the board?

Our Pmods are not open source. You will see that the PmodIA is in the coming soon section, however we do not have a release date for it yet. We do have the schematics and the reference manual up already.

And I'm interested in hearing about the openness of the PMOD interface. Can others market their own PMODs, or does Digilent want it to keep ownership of the name as part of their special sauce/seven herbs and spices?

A six way 0.1" connector is pretty generic... 

This is from our Pmod page on the main site:

"Pmod™" is the trademark of Digilent Inc. The Pmod Interface Specification is the property of Digilent Inc. For more information on the use of the Pmod trademark, please see our Pmod License Agreement page.

l would suggest that you read through the Pmod License Agreement, and if you have any questions, let us know. James is the Pmod guy, and he has been doing a lot of work on documentation at our wiki reference.digilentinc.com

And I'm interested in hearing about the openness of the PMOD interface. Can others market their own PMODs, or does Digilent want it to keep ownership of the name as part of their special sauce/seven herbs and spices?

Hi Hamster, 

Yes, we are very open to having people work with the Pmod Interface. 

Since Pmods are about applications and solving problems, we wanted to create an interface that was flexible enough for anyone to participate in. 

The ordering of the pins + the naming of the board is what we have under Trademark. 

I believe that It's in our interest + our customer's interest to have as many variations of Pmods and option for our system (FPGA and Microcontroller boards). 

Our current website has been a bit limited for us to show off how extensive the Pmods are, but many of our partners have their own versions. 

In the coming months as we redesign the website you will begin to see a lot of the work that is going into Pmods behind the scenes. This will include an entire section of our Pmods that list out Partner (people who we work with directly), Community Pmods (ones that our community has designed) and Pmod concepts (for Pmods that don't quite fit the standard, but are great ideas). 

It's our intention to be able to help grow the community of people that are interested in electronics hardware design. 

For right now, as we are laying the ground work for the Pmod focus-- we hope that people who wish to use the Pmod interface to let us know about their boards!

That way we are able to promote them... or possibly stock them :-)

In regards to the schematics and gerber designs. 

It's the intention to Open Source Hardware all of our Pmod designs (I went to OSH Conference in October to make sure we had all the info), but this is a process that will take some time and infrastructure to do so effectively. 

In the mean time, while we get all of the files and repositories etc, you can visit reference.digilentinc.com and click the Pmod category to see the work slowly develop. 

We are very excited about Pmods, but want to make them go beyond only a 6 pin-nondescript (generic) standard and instead make it a way to proliferate learning electronics design :-)

Hope that helps, 

Larissa

Archived