Does BASYS3 board support bluetooth and WIFI?

HomaGOD

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi @HomaGOD,

The Basys 3 might be able to communicate with the Pmod BT2 via the Pmod BT2 IP core, though I don't know if the Basys 3 has enough memory for the application; we have a guide on how to use Pmod IP cores for Vivado and SDK (2019.1 and earlier) here, and a newer one that walks through setting up a design in Vivado and Vitis (2019.2 and later) here.

The Pmod WiFi will not work on the Basys 3 though because it does not have enough memory (and no external memory) to be able to hold the needed software to run the WiFi application.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

15 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @HomaGOD,

The Basys 3 might be able to communicate with the Pmod BT2 via the Pmod BT2 IP core, though I don't know if the Basys 3 has enough memory for the application; we have a guide on how to use Pmod IP cores for Vivado and SDK (2019.1 and earlier) here, and a newer one that walks through setting up a design in Vivado and Vitis (2019.2 and later) here.

The Pmod WiFi will not work on the Basys 3 though because it does not have enough memory (and no external memory) to be able to hold the needed software to run the WiFi application.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your timely reply.

You referred that you are nor sure whether Basys3 has enough memory for the application. I am confused what "application" refers to here.

And plus, how should I judge if Basys3 has enough memory to link to the Pmod BT2?

Hope your reply.

Hi @HomaGOD,

So, the application is the software material (usually written in C) that comes with the Pmod IPs to have them work with the processor on the board (usually Microblaze for non-Zynq based boards or the existing ARM processor on the Zynq boards). Each of these applications (and processor to run them in the case of Microblaze) take some amount of memory to successfully run.

The Basys 3, unlike most of our other boards, does not have any extra external memory to help hold and run these applications; it only has the limited amount of block RAM that comes with the Artix 7 35T FPGA that is present on the Basys 3, which is insufficient to be able to hold the WiFi stack (Pmod WiFi) or the SD card library (Pmod SD/Pmod microSD).

As for knowing if the Basys 3 has enough memory to run the Pmod BT2, the only real way to know is to make the product in your desired version of Vivado, generate the bitstream, export the project, then build it in SDK/Vitis (depending on what version of the Xilinx software you choose) and see if you get a memory error. I can't really say for certain offhand if the Basys 3 has enough memory or not since it depends on what version of Vivado you are using as well as what IPs and materials you incorporate into the block design.

Thanks,
JColvin

9 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @HomaGOD,

So, the application is the software material (usually written in C) that comes with the Pmod IPs to have them work with the processor on the board (usually Microblaze for non-Zynq based boards or the existing ARM processor on the Zynq boards). Each of these applications (and processor to run them in the case of Microblaze) take some amount of memory to successfully run.

The Basys 3, unlike most of our other boards, does not have any extra external memory to help hold and run these applications; it only has the limited amount of block RAM that comes with the Artix 7 35T FPGA that is present on the Basys 3, which is insufficient to be able to hold the WiFi stack (Pmod WiFi) or the SD card library (Pmod SD/Pmod microSD).

As for knowing if the Basys 3 has enough memory to run the Pmod BT2, the only real way to know is to make the product in your desired version of Vivado, generate the bitstream, export the project, then build it in SDK/Vitis (depending on what version of the Xilinx software you choose) and see if you get a memory error. I can't really say for certain offhand if the Basys 3 has enough memory or not since it depends on what version of Vivado you are using as well as what IPs and materials you incorporate into the block design.

Thanks,
JColvin

I see, Thanks for your detailed explanation.

And plus, I have another problem in the link 

Would you please be kind to spare time to answer it? Thanks a lot.

Edited by HomaGOD