CMOD A7-how to load Macronix flash config memory?

tech2020

Question

Hi,

Ive been using CMOD A7 for yeares w Vivado 2016.2 and Micron config flash.

now the flash memory has changed to Macronix and Vivado doesnt suport it.

In the CMOD-A7 Reference Manual it mentions how to resolve this...using Bootloader BSP. However I do not understand this process ?..having only ever gone down the Vivado path.

Is there some more info to clarify this process ?

Ultimately, all I want is for my Vivado 'configure memory device' to recognise the new Macronix memory.

I am a simple GUI user, not TCL  etc.

Any hints appreciated, as I have several devices waiting to be programmed for prod.

image.thumb.png.e0820d191dbaa4a7558624b6abbb6322.png

3 answers to this question

Hello,

I have personally never gotten the SREC bootloader to work in Vitis or SDK, but have readily gotten this alternate approach towards storing SDK/Vitis Microblaze projects stored and working on flash with a lot more ease (the Cmod S7 also uses the MX25L3233F Macronix part, and I confirmed it was working as intended on Vivado 2020.2)

I haven't gotten to verify this flow works on 2016.2 though; I downloaded 2016.2 today, but Vivado is stalling and not getting anywhere in synthesis or implementation (they are both still listed as "queued" with zero seconds on the elapsed time and nothing in their log files and restarting Vivado hasn't helped). But the original guide I learned this technique from uses 2016.4, so the flow will likely be viable.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi John, Thanks for your prompt reply. Appreciate your dedication.

As mentioned, I am not skilled in working with bootloader,etc and its been 5 years since I did development on this device...and I just want to program my device like before and be done with it...so production can make units.

I have had success since posting as follows...for others who may have same issue:

I installed Vivado 2019.1 (no update), webpack w free license....on a new WIN10 machine...so totally clean install...got the free license.

I then copied only the CMOD-A7 board files from the Digilent github, as documented, and placed the CMOD-A7 folder into my ...XILINX/..../boardfiles/ folder...so that Vivado has CMOD-A7 board knowledge.

I copied my original 2016 project folder to a new c:/ ... folder, opened Vivado 2019.1, and open that old project..which worked fine.

Ran Synthesis, Implementation, Bitstream, opened HW Mgr, connected CMOD device, Open Target, ...all worked fine, until Add Config Memory Device.

Moment of truth....

Macronix, 32Mb, mx25L3233... device was present in the list of memories...which was not the case with 2016. So that is what I needed.

So its programmed, and device worked as expected after removal and testing.

So, prob'ly all thats required to resolve this issue for users is to inform Vivado about the new Macronix device...however, there may be non-power users like me that struggle to follow the steps provided so far.

It would be great (actually, essential...) if Digilent had a doc that showed , step by step, how to inform Vivado of this new memory device...so they can keep using their existing setup..instead of doing a total new install as I did.

Hello,

Part of the issue is that, as you found, not all of the memory devices are readily built into the GUI by Xilinx in earlier versions of Vivado; unfortunately there isn't anything Digilent can do about this. It's possible to manually add the flash memory in SDK/Vitis as described in the other thread you posted on, but this is not necessarily an easy task.

I will request that a programming guide is created for our boards.

Thanks,
JColvin