Had a little scare. I thought I killed the AD2. Few questions for the future.

Jared

Question

I was using my AD2 with my Raspberry Pi and controlling the Pi remotely from another computer using VNC, but the Pi locked up. I was forced to hard reset the Pi.

After the reset, the AD2 was no longer recognized and the LED did not light up. I though I killed it. After looking through the forum and doing some troubleshooting, I tried the AD2 on a separate PC with waveforms. Low and behold, the AD2 worked. I then tried it again on the Pi and it powered up and worked.

1. Any idea what might have happened to the AD2?
  2. Is it safe to abruptly disconnect or shutdown the computer while waveforms is running and displaying a signal?
  3. Finally, what would likely be the effects of an over voltage to the oscilloscope and how would I know this occured?

Thanks,

Jared

1 answer to this question

Hi @Jared

1. Most probably something in the Linux driver/udev got messed up.
2. It should be no problem for the AD2 but it may be unsafe for the circuit connected to it and the operating/file system could get corrupt.
3. The Scope inputs are rated for +/-50V Higher voltages (inductor flyback, piezoelectricity...) could damage the first IC in the path a digital switch or other components, which leads to wrong scope reading.

I've tried now to soft and hard reset the RPI while using the AD2 and after reboot it is working normally for me.

Archived