Electronics Explorer USB Port

greglwood

Question

I have an electronics explorer board that has a bad usb port. It appears to be a bad connection. I think the pcb in the port may have broken.  Does Digilent have a repair service? The port is very small and the traces are tiny, too small for me to do.  

If there is no repair service is there anywhere else I could connect to the traces?

5 answers to this question

19 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @greglwood

We do not provide repair services. You could contact any repair shop or a friend with some soldering skills.

I do quite a bit of soldering and have done some SMT, but it's the desoldering that's the harder part for me.   It appears to have two thru hole's for the tabs but what are two little red dots on each side of that connector?

Can't find replacement connector, 3d printed something to mount a usb breakout board. I was able to get a couple of .1 mm trace wires connected to DPLUS and DMINUS. Connectivity is good, no short between them. Tested all the way to the CY7C68013L-56.  Waveforms still does not see it. I have not hooked up anything from the 5v or gnd coming from computer to EE board. Based on schematic the 5v only powers the LED. I could not find USB5V0 anywhere else on the schematic but I'm wondering if it's not used as an input to indicate the USB is plugged in.  But again I can't find it anywhere else on the schematic. Soldering those little connections is very hard and I'm afraid if I try to solder another one I will mess up the two I've done. Can you look at board trace files and confirm if it does or does not goes anywhere else?  

Archived