OpenScope and OpenLogger Retired

Despite our hopes and effort to create an innovative and low-cost T&M solution, we’ve received consistent negative feedback on the OpenScope MZ and OpenLogger regarding overall reliability that has led us to determine that it is not up to our high standards for our test and measurement products.

Unfortunately, we are unable to fix many of the issues, so we have made the difficult decision to pull both products, and related accessories from our shelves. This will allow us to ensure we can continue to deliver on the Digilent brand promise and focus our efforts on expanding our popular and core line of Test and Measurement Products.

The materials on this page will remain here as legacy sources. Any Digilent provided support for this material will be extremely limited at best. Thank you for understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning to buy one from DigiKey tomorrow.  Really disappointing.   Seemed like a nifty device for the $$ and I like the ethernet interface.   I was planning to do some tinkering with remote instrumentation using this device.

OK, well.  I guess better to find out now before I drop $89 + Shipping :(

Hi all,

On 12/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, San said:

Since is it retired. Is it possible to have the project build for iOS and Android? I am interested how it is incorporated onto the iOS and Android system. I look forward to have your response, thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean getting the project build for iOS and Android. WaveFormsLivethat the OpenScope and OpenLogger uses is an externally hosted website. Local versions are hosted on an SD card that is then attached to one of the devices.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:35 AM, webhat said:

It would also be cool to have the source code for the board so I don't feel like I wasted my money on a board I can't use.

The source code is and has been available on the Digilent GitHub: https://github.com/Digilent/openloggerhttps://github.com/Digilent/openscope-mz and https://github.com/Digilent/waveforms-live.

15 hours ago, MouseFet said:

I was planning to buy one from DigiKey tomorrow.  Really disappointing.   Seemed like a nifty device for the $$ and I like the ethernet interface.   I was planning to do some tinkering with remote instrumentation using this device.

OK, well.  I guess better to find out now before I drop $89 + Shipping :(

Yes. While WiFi is a nice feature (neither board has on board Ethernet), the end implementation was not ideal as you had to operate at much lower sample rates than is otherwise theoretically possible with the hardware.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:50 PM, JColvin said:
On 12/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, San said:

Since is it retired. Is it possible to have the project build for iOS and Android? I am interested how it is incorporated onto the iOS and Android system. I look forward to have your response, thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean getting the project build for iOS and Android. WaveFormsLivethat the OpenScope and OpenLogger uses is an externally hosted website. Local versions are hosted on an SD card that is then attached to one of the devices.

Thank you for replying, what I meant is the source code for the iOS app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/waveforms-live/id1244242035 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @victagayun,

None of the sources that are posted on WaveFormsLive Resource Center or the Open' boards Resource Centers have been changed to make them unusable. What I would probably attempt to do would be to uninstall the Digilent Agent and then re-install it.

Thanks,
JColvin

Since reconnecting the wifi is not possible after power off and on, ( https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/4986-openscope-wifi-re-connect-doesnt-work/?tab=comments#comment-44252 ) I do setup the wifi via terminal every time you need it and power on again.

Not to mention sometime when you scan (via terminal), it hangs there and you may need to press the reset button to do all over again and again and again until you connect to your wifi...

Why wIfi is ok, but not by COM port is puzzling...

image.png.1d24050a783c05a753e51c3bad5ce4d8.png

Edited by victagayun

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well... I cam looking for any upgrade to the firmware and was kind of shocked to see a message saying Open Logger is retired. 

Anyway there were many instances where I used to suspect my own capabilities when the unit misbehaved and actually grew tired of asking here.  So I have not been alone in this fight to make this work.  It remains a cute but unreliable piece of equipment. 

Sad to see it go