Pmod Module Related

BHPark

I bought a Stepper motor (290-028) and a Pmod STEP : Stepper Motor Driver (410-267)

After receiving the product, I checked that the motor was 5 pin and the driver was 6 pin.

(Both are marked with 6pin in datasheet)

I wonder if it's compatible with each other, and tell me which Pmod Module I should use to connect the motor.

Thanks

Hi @BHPark,

Where do you see it mentioned in our materials for the Stepper motor that it is a 6-pin material? I want to be able to correct this as it is (as you noted) only a 5-pin motor.

The Pmod STEP does not have any direct headers that support the stepper motor (thanks to the difference of supporting 4 and 6 pin vs a 5 pin configuration). The 5-pin stepper motor is set up (as per it's datasheet) with the orange + pink wires controlling one coil and the blue + yellow wires controlling the other coil. The red wire is "power tap" for both coils. The way the header on the stepper motor is arranged, it may be possible to attach a single right angle header to the red wire (thankfully on the outside of the header) and connect it to a power source.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @BHPark,

We don't have a specific product that will connect the stepper motor to a Pmod port. When I used this stepper motor with a Digilent system board a number of years ago, I used individual wires in conjunction with a Darlington Transistor Array because the motor needs 5V signals and a power and the Pmod ports on Digilent system boards are only supply 3.3V; it was for a microntroller rather than an FPGA and I imagine you already know how to use a stepper motor, but that particular project was detailed here: https://www.instructables.com/How-to-use-a-Stepper-Motor/.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived