Git Repository Documentation

zygot

I've mentioned this in the past but it deserves a post of its own.

Please have contributors to the GIT repositories provide commentary about source updates so that users can see what's changed and make a considered decision about whether or not to use a particular snapshot of a repository. GIT provides a natural way to do this; it just need to be done.  It's not reasonable to expect users to have to find these changes on their own. For a product as complex as the Eclypse-Z7 or Genesys-ZUx products the current practice is a problem for everyone. The Eclypse-Z7 code is current in flux and there's no way to track changes. I'd hope that Digilent has a CSV or similar revision management protocol requiring this information so it should be available as normal practice. 

It would be nice, and no doubt of benefit to you as well to have testbench code as a minimal form of verification. At least it would save customers their valuable time in understanding what they are getting and allow them to concentrate on their own design problems.

Hi @ zygot

We have taken your remarks in to advice and are slowly implementing the requested changes. We'll be adding detailed commentary for changes that make sens (IP changes, SW code changes,  etc.) for minor changes such as documentation updates, code commentary fixes, etc. we probably will not. This won't happen all at once but measures are being set up to ensure an easier overview from git commits over the implemented project updates.

Regarding testbenches. Its a very good idea and we have started work on some of them, we have not yet reached a final conclusion on how, what and in which form we will release them. Looking forward we might release testbenches for future IPs..... I can't make any official promises though.

-Ciprian

Archived