System hung when using "FPGA Configuration Framework" linux driver to program PL

sqf09fd

Question

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with linux kernel 4.14.0 on zedboard. All my boot files are all generated on version 2018.1. I'm trying to use PCAP within ubuntu.

My problem is that every time I try to use "FPGA Configuration Framework" driver in linux (echo bitstream.bin > /sys/class/fpag_manager/fpag0/firmware), I can see the program led went blue, indicating the bitstream is programmed successfully. But meanwhile the system would also cease to function immediately. (I have both serial and ssh connections to the board, both consoles would stop responding as soon as I run that pcap command)

I wonder if anyone here has encountered the same issue before. Does anyone has any clue of how to solve this?

Thanks,
Clark 

3 answers to this question

12 hours ago, vicentiu said:

Hello,

Here is Xilinx's documentation on configuring FPGA from Linux is here.

Please also go through the following forum threads as they have run into the same issue.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/dev-xdevcfg-on-Linux-kernel-4-6/td-p/739211

http://zedboard.org/content/it-possible-program-pl-linux-running-ps-after-linux-have-booted

Hi Vicentiu,

Thanks for the reply! I was using the "xdevcfg" before and it worked just fine. However, as you see in the link, this method has been deprecated in 2018.1. Start on 2018.1, only "ZYNQ FPGA manager" would be valid. I know that the new method (ZYNQ FPGA manager) supports overlay device tree, which is a fancy feature I would like to use on zedboard. That's why I tried the new one. But as you see I got some issues with it, I don't know if it's a bug there or it's because of my misconfiguration somewhere. I want to know if anyone managed to make the new method work on zedboard or had the same issue. That's why I posted this question. For "xdevcfg ", I know it works fine.

Thanks,

Clark

Archived