Labview-Raspberry Pi 2 or 3?

Marty

Question

1) From browsing it seems Labview on Raspberry pi 2 (version 1.2) or 3 (not 3+) works using Linux's Raspbian Jessie.  Is there any knowledge/advice on what is the stablest setup?

2) Is there any info/rumors about whether 3+ or  Stitch  or  some other OS is gonna role out?

3) Is National instruments commited to the Labview-raspberry pi marrage and will  these two still work together if you purchase the commercial license for Labview?

Thanks,

Marty

5 answers to this question

Hey Marty,

1. I would go with RPI 3.  It's better hardware and LabVIEW should work fine (just make sure to get the right...old...version of Raspbian and it will be easy).

2. I would expect everything to work on the 3+.  There may be some extra steps required to get things setup, but I'm not aware of any reason it wouldn't work.  That being said I haven't tried it.

3. The LINX add on for LabVIEW includes the LabVIEW Runtime for BBB / RPI which is what enables LabVIEW code to run on the target.  This runtime is licensed for non-commercial use only.  It will work with a commercial license of LabVIEW and you can still use it for hobby / educational use, but you would be violating the license agreement if you deploy LabVIEW code to BBB / RPI for commercial use.  The runtime is also only available for LabVIEW 2014.

Let us know if you have any more questions about this

Thanks!

-Kristoff

8 hours ago, Kristoff said:

Hey Marty,

2. I would expect everything to work on the 3+.  There may be some extra steps required to get things setup, but I'm not aware of any reason it wouldn't work.  That being said I haven't tried it.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Kristoff,

Thanks for clairifying my question 1 and 3, I understand your answers.  But I don't understand your answer to question 2, cause from what I've read Jessie doesn't run on 3+.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspbian

so there is something that I'm not getting or understanding, cause I'm very inexperienced in this area so I just read  things and take them at their words.

thanks,

Marty

Hey,

LabVIEW support doesn't depend on Jessie, but it was developed and tested on Jessie and has not been updated for Stretch.  The LabVIEW runtime should still work just fine, but there may be changes in the newer OS that require some manual setup / modification.  For example SSH is not enabled by default anymore, so you'll have to enable that before following the standard setup procedure.  RPI has been pretty good about not breaking backward compatibility for the I/O, but I haven't tested it so I can't say for sure that all the I/O will work without modification.

-Kristoff

Kristoff,

Thanks for fast answer, but I'll skip OS and App debugging and leave that to more qualified folks, hard enough to get my own stuff going.  I'm on the WF32 right now via USB, its very stable but tied to a PC.  I'll  migrate to the RPI in a few months if it makes sense,   I've never  touched one before and never used linux either, so I think you can understand reluctance on 3+.

I'm very impressed the LaBVIEW-WF32 operation.

thanks,

marty

Fair enough :D. 

Glad to hear LabVIEW +  WF32 is working well for you.  I had a lot of fun creating that and still have my original demo with a WF32 with WS2812 light strip controlled by LabVIEW mounted on my porch ceiling.

-Kristoff

Archived