Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20 project doesn't build

fandrei

Question

I'm getting this error when trying to build it (PetaLinux tools v2018.1). Any ideas how to fix it?

user@Ubuntu-VM:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
WARNING: You have included the meta-virtualization layer, but 'virtualization' has not been enabled in your DISTRO_FEATURES. Some bbappend files may not take effect. See the meta-virtualization README for details on enabling virtualization support.
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
    Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

Please set a MACHINE in your local.conf or environment

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project

9 answers to this question

On 6/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, theUltimateSource said:

The petalinux platform is not compatible with 2018.1 tools version. You'll need to create a new platform for 2018.1. 

I'm getting a similar message when using v2017.4. What is this MACHINE variable for and what value should it have for the Zybo board?

[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
    Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
    Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

Please set a MACHINE in your local.conf or environment

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ls: cannot access '/home/user/PetaLinux/Projects/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/tmp/log/cooker/plnx_arm': No such file or directory
cat: /home/user/PetaLinux/Projects/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/tmp/log/cooker/plnx_arm/: No such file or directory
grep: /home/user/PetaLinux/Projects/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/tmp/log/cooker/plnx_arm/console-latest.log: No such file or directory

I am not an expert, but I think the machine names the system you are targeting (which is "zynq", or "zynq generic" in your case). Since you are not ment to change these configurations, I'd assume your petalinux project is corrupted at some point. Try to start from scratch, if you can. 

Also, can you share which steps you are taking to build the kernel? Otherwise my assumptions are just overly optimistic, or simply wrong. :)

3 hours ago, theUltimateSource said:

I am not an expert, but I think the machine names the system you are targeting (which is "zynq", or "zynq generic" in your case). Since you are not ment to change these configurations, I'd assume your petalinux project is corrupted at some point. Try to start from scratch, if you can. 

Also, can you share which steps you are taking to build the kernel? Otherwise my assumptions are just overly optimistic, or simply wrong. :)

So, the problem with "Please set a MACHINE in your local.conf or environment" was that I didn't check out submodules of the Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20 project. ?
And then, back to the first question: how do I make the Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20 project work with PetaLinux 2018.1, what modifications are required?

Thanks for posting the solution. 

As for updating to 2018.1, I haven't used it yet, so I can't accurately answer your question. In previous versions, I was able to just open the project in the newer version and it was updated automatically, but I can't guarantee that will be the case here.

22 hours ago, sbobrowicz said:

Thanks for posting the solution. 

As for updating to 2018.1, I haven't used it yet, so I can't accurately answer your question. In previous versions, I was able to just open the project in the newer version and it was updated automatically, but I can't guarantee that will be the case here.

I'm getting these error when trying to build it using v2018.1. Any ideas how to fix the project?

user@Ubuntu-VM:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
WARNING: You have included the meta-virtualization layer, but 'virtualization' has not been enabled in your DISTRO_FEATURES. Some bbappend files may not take effect. See the meta-virtualization README for details on enabling virtualization support.
Parsing recipes: 100% |#################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:04:08
Parsing of 2551 .bb files complete (0 cached, 2551 parsed). 3427 targets, 145 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
WARNING: No recipes available for:
  /home/user/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/device-tree-generation_%.bbappend
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |##############################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:18
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |######################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:50
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
WARNING: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.1+gitAUTOINC+83ccde7efd-r0 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://github.com/digilent/linux-digilent.git;protocol=https;branch=xlnx_rebase_v4.14, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.1+gitAUTOINC+83ccde7efd-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Unable to find revision 83ccde7efd983e441c163ffd27e8d89a7ee9a38a in branch xlnx_rebase_v4.14 even from upstream
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.1+gitAUTOINC+83ccde7efd-r0 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://github.com/digilent/linux-digilent.git;protocol=https;branch=xlnx_rebase_v4.14'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: linux-xlnx-4.14-xilinx-v2018.1+gitAUTOINC+83ccde7efd-r0 do_fetch: Function failed: base_do_fetch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/user/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/Zybo-Z7-20/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynq7-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/linux-xlnx/4.14-xilinx-v2018.1+gitAUTOINC+83ccde7efd-r0/temp/log.do_fetch.23467
ERROR: Task (/home/user/PetaLinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.1.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1563 tasks of which 1562 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/user/PetaLinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2018.1.bb:do_fetch
Summary: There were 3 WARNING messages shown.
Summary: There were 3 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

@fandrei

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention a key step that is actually a lot of work, and the cause of the issue you are having.

The Digilent u-boot and linux kernel repos will need to be merged with the recent changes to the Xilinx u-boot and Linux kernel repos. You can probably skip the u-boot merges, but it seems the linux kernel will need a merge. It also seems that they are expecting a branch called "xlnx_rebase_v4.14" to exist, which is new to 2018.1 (in the past they always assumed the master branch). Please run petalinux-config and see if you can override the branch anywhere, probably in the section where you set the remote linux repo. 

Good news is that I happen to be working on a merge right now that should work for you and will end up pushed to the digilent repo. When it goes live I will let you know and tell you what commit to point at.

If you want to give the merge a shot yourself, let me know, and I can give you some pointers.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:54 PM, sbobrowicz said:

The Digilent u-boot and linux kernel repos will need to be merged with the recent changes to the Xilinx u-boot and Linux kernel repos. You can probably skip the u-boot merges, but it seems the linux kernel will need a merge. It also seems that they are expecting a branch called "xlnx_rebase_v4.14" to exist, which is new to 2018.1 (in the past they always assumed the master branch).

Hi @sbobrowicz

I wonder if there is any public discussion about this?

Archived