Petalinux boot up on Zybo S7 from SD Card.

rpickeri

Question

I have set up and build the Zybo s7-20 petalinux project following the directions specified here:

https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/blob/master/README.md

I have a 32Gb micro sd card with it's first partition set to FAT32 and a size of 128M via gparted.

I placed on to this SD card the BOOT.BIN and image.ub files found in images/Linux.

I can see serial port console print out from the Zybo S7-20 QSPI  out of box demo project when I have the jumpers set to boot from QSPI, and the Leds flash etc as expected.

Then:

1. I power down.

2. place SD card in the ZYBO s7-20 SD card slot.

3. set the jumper to select SD card boot up.

4. Power on.

5. ensure that the serial port console is re-connected, I  do start a new serial port console connected 115200, etc, in the same manner that succeded with the out of box Zybo s7-20 demo project.

6. Press the reset button.

NOTHING HAPPENS.

I have verified that the Petalinux dtsi files show that UART and SD settings are correct and do match the hardware as connected to the Zybo-S7-20 Diligent board. I do know the serial port work as I am able to see the text print to serial console when using the QSFPI boot option along with the demo project.

So what do I do next?

Is there some thing I may be missing from the SD card set up?

..(By the way I also built the Petalinux project as described in https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/blob/master/README.md, and the BOOT.BIN and image.ub from the build also did not appear to boot...)

Has any one gotten petaliux to boot this way from the SD Card?

9 answers to this question

I just repeated the process, from scratch, making sure to use the Z7-20 bsp, and using the pre built images in the sd card, set the jumper, and it still wouldn't boot up.

By the way the demo project that comes within the QSPI boot up and works LEDs flashing etc... 

I also have been able to get vivado sdk to generate fsbl images and those work via jtag, but when I insert the sd card, switch jumpers to sd power cycle, connect the serial port, press reset, there is no activity on the serial port. I should like to point out that with the QSFP demo project the serial port does print out a message on reset.

One more question though.

If I start with the associated block schematic FPGA project, alter it, and then create a new FPGA bit file,  then export it to Xilinx SDK and construct a new fsbl, devtree project, and a new hsf file.

Would I integrate these changes, the contents of the fsbl project folder from Xilinx SDK,  in to the following  folder?:

Zybo-Z7-20\project-spec\hw-description

Would I integrate the new devtree project from Xilinx SDK into this folder?:

Zybo-Z7-20\components\plnx_workspace\device-tree

and would I then also have to edit this file to match the devtree project?:

Zybo-Z7-20\project-spec\meta-user\recipes-bsp\device-tree\files\system_user.dtsi

@rpickeri

As a general rule, you should only manually modify files in the meta-user folder. All other files should have a petalinux-config front end and/or be automatically generated by Petalinux, meaning if you modify them your changes may be overwritten by the tools.

The more standard approach to what you are doing is to export the HDF from Vivado, but then skip Xilinx SDK entirely. Instead, import the HDF directly into Petalinux, which will automatically generate FSBL, device-tree, BOOT.bin, etc.. In fact, petalinux calls many of the same tools internally as SDK, including the device tree generator. For info on importing the HDF into your project, see UG1144 from Xilinx. I also recently described how device tree modification works here: 

Thanks,  I realize that my difficulty was due to miss matched versions of Vivado, in this case I was trying to import a hdf file from vivado 2016 and it had some issues.

After cleaning and rebuilding from vivado 2017.4 as this matches the petalinux 2014.4 every thing worked smothely and I have been able to migrate changes in to petalinux via the hdf file.

Archived