chipKit and Labview

joe

Question

For the chipKit with the LabView home bundle, I was wondering whether a programmed (via LabView) chipKit board can run programs without being plugged into a PC?  

Or another way to look at the question, can you use LabView to program the chipKit board similar to how you program an Arduino board, which doesn't need the PC to be connected to the Arduino after programming? 

For example, what if I would like to connect a sensor to one of the analog inputs on the chipKit board and then have some sort of sensed parameter displayed on a small LCD display connected to the chipKit board? 

2 answers to this question

If you're using LabVIEW MakerHub LINX (which you probably will be to use LabVIEW Home Bundle with a microcontroller), you need to have the board plugged into the computer at all times since LabVIEW running on your PC is actively communicating with the board while your LabVIEW code runs.  One way to get around the obvious issue of having the board directly connected to your computer at all times is to use the chipKIT WF32 which has built in WiFi that is super easy to use or something like the chipKIT Max32 with the network shield and have the ethernet cable from the shield connected to a router (I can describe these in more detail if you would like to hear more).  That way your computer is connected to the board but doesn't have to be connected with a cable.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Dharsan

Archived