FPGA board with HDMI and VGA input and HDMI and DVI output

Aniq

Question

5 answers to this question

@Aniq,

I've never seen an FPGA board with a VGA input. You could certainly attempt to decode VGA with a fast ADC but it won't be trivial. VGA appeared on the old FPGA boards as HDMI/DVI still weren't mainstream yet. The cheaper FPGA boards offer VGA output using resistor ladder networks but really, the VGA monitor is disappearing. I'm not sure what you need to do with such a board but the best bet would be to find a generic FPGA board and compatible HDMI in/out adaptor and design you own VGA in/out interface. Most FPGA boards, except Atlys, Genesys2 use dedicated HDMI receiver or transmitter ICs which takes some control out of your hands. These devices are generally very programmable ( depending on how they are connected ) but not as flexible as say, the Atlys, but for a board like the Atlys you are responsible for creating the logic that the dedicated IC does.

PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc are also video standards that have seen their day hit sunset.

12 hours ago, zygot said:

@Aniq,

I've never seen an FPGA board with a VGA input. You could certainly attempt to decode VGA with a fast ADC but it won't be trivial. VGA appeared on the old FPGA boards as HDMI/DVI still weren't mainstream yet. The cheaper FPGA boards offer VGA output using resistor ladder networks but really, the VGA monitor is disappearing. I'm not sure what you need to do with such a board but the best bet would be to find a generic FPGA board and compatible HDMI in/out adaptor and design you own VGA in/out interface. Most FPGA boards, except Atlys, Genesys2 use dedicated HDMI receiver or transmitter ICs which takes some control out of your hands. These devices are generally very programmable ( depending on how they are connected ) but not as flexible as say, the Atlys, but for a board like the Atlys you are responsible for creating the logic that the dedicated IC does.

PAL, NTSC, SECAM etc are also video standards that have seen their day hit sunset.

Thanks @zygot  yes you are right now vga and dvi aren't mainstream. i've seen atyls board which has hdmi inputs and outputs. so can i use vga to hdmi and hdmi to dvi connector with atyls board. i've read somewhere that connectors has compatibility issues with boards.   

@Aniq,

8 hours ago, Aniq said:

so can i use vga to hdmi and hdmi to dvi connector with atyls board. i've read somewhere that connectors has compatibility issues with boards.

The Atlys has HDMI in/out. DVI and HDMI are similar enough that there should be no problem using an adaptor/cable to span those standards. I've used DVI-VGA adaptors that (used to) come with GPU cards but not with the Atlys. I don't know of a reason why this couldn't be done but I can't claim to have done it either.

I've used the Atlys for many years and like the board a lot. I will say that the Spartan6, and I'm very fond of that family, has aged a bit with respect to the Artix in terms of block ram and other resources. Still the Spartan6 on the Atlys has better IOSERDES performance than the Artix device on the Nexys Video. Both of those boards have similar HDMI interfaces, though the Nexys Video uses a different buffer/equalizer for HDMI input. You can't get an FPGA board with a more generic interface.

4 hours ago, zygot said:

@Aniq,

The Atlys has HDMI in/out. DVI and HDMI are similar enough that there should be no problem using an adaptor/cable to span those standards. I've used DVI-VGA adaptors that (used to) come with GPU cards but not with the Atlys. I don't know of a reason why this couldn't be done but I can't claim to have done it either.

I've used the Atlys for many years and like the board a lot. I will say that the Spartan6, and I'm very fond of that family, has aged a bit with respect to the Artix in terms of block ram and other resources. Still the Spartan6 on the Atlys has better IOSERDES performance than the Artix device on the Nexys Video. Both of those boards have similar HDMI interfaces, though the Nexys Video uses a different buffer/equalizer for HDMI input. You can't get an FPGA board with a more generic interface.

thanks @zygot and what about vga to hdmi connector for input. and just saw few more boards like PYNQ-Z1, Zybo-7000 and ARTY.

@Aniq,

Yes, there are other boards with HDMI interfaces. I forgot that the Zybo had VGA out and a bi-directional HDMI port. Generally these cheaper boards don't have HDMI buffer/equalizer devices but the still may be OK for your needs. Read the board user manuals and schematics to get a good picture of the differences. Ultimately, I can't, nor do I want to make a selection for your budget and needs.

Archived