Getting started - Instacal not finding boards, DAQami not coming up

mlarkin

Question

I'm trying to evaluate both the USB-1608GX and the USB-1808X, so I have two brand new MCC/Digilent boards in my hands. I'm having challenges simply getting started. I've tried with the two DAQ boards above, on two computers, two ports on one computer, two different USB cables, and I consistently have the same behavior. System, sequence of actions and behaviors include:

• Both test computers are Windows 11 Business on a Lenovo Thinkpad
  • Downloaded DAQami package and installed
  • Rebooted computer
  • Plugged in DAQ card. After a pause lights on the board flashed, then settled into a single LED on (top LED). Device manager shows the device and says it's working properly. This behavior is the same with either the USB-1608GX or the USB-1808X.
  • When I try to start DAQami I see the splash screen, but then that disappears and the main program never starts. Same behavior if I use "run as administrator"
  • When I run Instacal the program starts, but doesn't find the board. I have the option to add "DEMO-BOARD" only. Refresh doesn't change the situation.

I assume there's some dumb/simple thing I missed, thanks for your help in finding that.

Best,

Michael

2 answers to this question

Hello @mlarkin.

DAQami installs a previous version of InstaCal not supported under Windows 11.  Please download and install the current version of InstaCal.  Restart your system with the USB devices connected.  Launch InstaCal to detect the USB devices.  If the devices are not detected by InstaCal, please verify communication with the devices on a different system.  If the devices are detected by InstaCal, close InstaCal and launch DAQami to use the devices.

Regards,

Fausto

Hi @Fausto,

That worked like a charm, thanks. I see now that this is discussed if I dive down a bit on the DAQami page, but you folks might consider an asterisk next to "Supported Operating Systems: Windows® 11/10/8/7/Vista®, 32-bit or 64-bit" or in some other way making the incompatibility more obvious. Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Michael