Basys3 Artix-7 FPGA Trainer Board & Arty A7 Reference Manual

dooeun

Question

According to the Arty A7 Reference Manual Reference Manual at this link: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/arty-a7/reference-manual?srsltid=AfmBOoq4Oe6IZ0qUJd_4UWE4LZf6co78rt69EvzhIGw6YHhODPt4ej2u, I understand that around 2MB of the flash memory is used for booting, leaving approximately 14MB available for user data. However, I have not been able to figure out how to access and utilize this space.

Could you provide an example or project that explains how to store data in this available memory, such as starting from which address and how to proceed?

Thank you in advance.

+If it is difficult to provide an example with this specific product, I would also appreciate it if you could provide an example using the Basys 3 board.

2 answers to this question

Hi @dooeun

Digilent doesn't currently have a demo project for programming arbitrary data into flash for either the Arty A7 or Basys 3. This demo for the Nexys Video is the closest, but is currently undocumented on the reference site. Sources, Release. It implements a MicroBlaze processor that uses an AXI QSPI IP to issue commands specific to the flash chip present on the board to program and then read back data from specific addresses.

I should note: when not using flash boot mode, the entirety of the flash is available for user data.

Thanks,

Arthur