MCC128 Daqhat Issue (Incorrect response error)

jinho park

Question

Hello

I’m experiencing an issue with my program that uses the MCC128 to collect analog data, where I frequently receive an "Incorrect response" error message.

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 4B (Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit) along with the MCC128 DAQ Hat to collect data from 4 channels at a sample rate of 25,000 Hz once every 15 minutes.

The data collection process in my program follows this sequence: `a_in_scan_start()` -> `a_in_scan_read_numpy()` -> `a_in_scan_stop()` -> `a_in_scan_cleanup()`.

While the issue doesn't occur frequently, after running for more than a day, the `a_in_scan_stop()` function occasionally throws an "Addr1: Incorrect response" error, followed by an "A scan is already active" error at `a_in_scan_start()`, which stops any further data collection.

image.thumb.png.7d5b8d913783c33771c2010a623fa477.png

Restarting the program or even rebooting the Raspberry Pi did not resolve the issue. To fix it, I had to reinstall the daqhat software and update the MCC128 firmware, after which the program worked properly again. (I have changed the Raspberry PI and the daqhat, and I have also activated the SPI and I2C.)

However, even after updating the firmware, the "Incorrect response" error still occurs, causing disruptions in continuous data collection.

Any troubleshooting guidance would be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Hello @jinho park.

If the error does not appear when running the DAQ HAT continuous_scan.py example, then we will need to look at your code.

What happens between each sequence step?

If the error reports "scan is already active", then you are not allowing the acquisition to stop before starting the next step.

How many different hats do you have mounted on your RPi 4B?

Which version of the Raspbian OS are you using?  Run the command cat /etc/os-release.

Which version of the daqhats library are you using?  Run the command daqhats_version.

Regards,

Fausto

I am experiencing exactly the same error as of today on my RPI5 and MCC128. It worked fine before a recent software update. Could this be related to a recent change in the RPI kernel that switched the gpiochip number on RPI5 to 0? This also broke gpizoero until an update today.

https://github.com/gpiozero/gpiozero/issues/1166

Edited by daqhatuser

Hello @Fausto, Thank you for your quick answer.

I ran continuous_scan.py and encountered the following error message:

image.png.6e8ed555bbeb6e49460dcefad46bc1be.png

I am using a single HAT (MCC128) with my Raspberry Pi 4B, and my operating system is Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye). The version of the daqhats library installed is 1.5.0.0.

To address the issue, I updated the firmware to version 1.01. After making this update, continuous_scan.py began functioning correctly.

image.png.ba38e0fbad0ab6cab38d42be0050cd50.png

Additionally, I have kept my program running to verify the error message.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you and appreciate your assistance.

Thank you.

Hello @jinho park.

Thank you for the responses.

On 9/16/2024 at 7:56 PM, jinho park said:

To address the issue, I updated the firmware to version 1.01. After making this update, continuous_scan.py began functioning correctly.

Is your MCC 128 functioning correctly or not, since your screen capture shows "device at address 1 cannot be confirmed as an MCC 128"?

If it is not, please run the MCC DAQ HAT MANAGER from your RPi OS menu Accessories - MCC DAQ HAT MANAGER.

Next, click on the List Devices button and reply with a screen capture of the response.

Also, click on the Read EEPROMs button and reply with a screen capture of the response.

Close the Manager application and run the continuous_scan.py example.  Does the MCC 128 work with the example?

Lastly, please reply with an image of your RPi and MCC 128 hardware.

Regards,

Fausto

Hello @Fausto,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

After the firmware update, the MCC 128 is functioning correctly.

Since this issue does not occur frequently, it might take some time to share the results from running the MCC DAQ HAT Manager.

image.png.45691fb067d6319101cd5a5e5b70e337.png    image.png.33bbda49cc939b47779cd4f834c245bc.png

If the same issue occurs again, I will follow the steps you provided and respond immediately.

Thank you again.

Hello, @Fausto

The error occurred again after almost 3 days.

image.thumb.png.f30bdb02bc6c106b4559bb0775540d99.png

As you instructed, I ran List Devices and Read EEPROMs. While Read EEPROMs worked fine, List Devices returned 'Can't open device'.

image.png.12ceed7616adcdbac482133196d9673c.png   image.png.20402489789a022dcbba958fefd9dd0e.png

As a result, when I executed the continuous_scan.py example, I encountered the following error message:

image.thumb.png.209578fbc82074dca8f8e36e14e83ffa.png

What else can I try? Should I take a closer look at my code?

Best regards,

image.png