Use Digital Discovery as a quadrature decoder

AlanB

Question

I have an application that needs to be able to decode/count the output from a quadrature encoder (A/B pulse output with an N pulse at the zero position) over a longer period of time than the internal buffer is able to capture.  I have managed to make it work by using the Digital Discovery's acqmodeRecord streaming capture and processing the samples in my application, but this will only work at lower rates than are ideal.

It seems like it should be comparatively simple for the hardware within the Digital Discovery to decode ABN signals as a "protocol" and output the current count value.  Is it possible to achieve this at the moment, or to add it in the future?

7 answers to this question

Thank you for the pointing out the other products - however I already use the Digital Discovery in a range of other points in my test setup and would like to keep using this device to keep a common setup.  Do you see it being likely you would add this feature to the Digital Discovery?

Thanks - I'd seen that link but had thought it operated in much the same way as my current application, i.e. to capture a buffer and send it to a PC to be processed there.  Is that not the case?

3 minutes ago, attila said:

The latest version adds data compression for Digital Discovery. This could be used to decode such signals with higher resolution.

That's excellent, thanks.  I know we were talking about that in a different thread, and being able to increase the rates would help a certain amount here.  However, the "feature" in question was related to the ABN signals being decoded as a protocol within the Digital Discovery itself.  Do you see that as being possible/likely?