MCC USB-1608FS-Plus: Simultaneous USB DAQ Device Real-Time Data Logging Using Python

PythonSp3zz

Question

Hello All!

I am working on a project that requires high-frequency data to be logged in our system's software for real-time control capabilities.

My goal is to write a python thread that continuously samples 5 channels on the DAQ and stores the data into separate queues with associated timestamps for when the data was sampled and stored.

I am running into issue where my thread won't execute quickly enough to get the up to 100 KHz sampling rate by saving one value at a time, but if I instead want to load a full seconds worth of data how should I break it up to back calculate the timestamps for each sample point?

If anybody has some insight on how they do real-time data acquisition using Python from these boards that would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the DAQ I am using: MCC USB-1608FS-Plus: Simultaneous USB DAQ Device

Attached is also my Python example script. Pressure_DAQ.py

Thank you all for your time and support.

Update (8/26/2024):

I have successfully created a script that loads the values from the DAQ and logs the data in a while loop that can be multithreaded. 

Now I would like to ask a follow up question: Based on this script I am able to record samples at a rate of 85 samples per second. How can I improve my data acquisition rate while still allowing for this timestamp logging functionality? Can I get up to 100 kHz as advertised?

Attached is my most recent solution. Pressure_DAQ_80_SPS.py

Thanks again Digilent,

Edited by PythonSp3zz

2 answers to this question