Ultrasonic Setup

Zamokuhle

Question

Hi,

I have an AD2 connected to a BNC adapter connected to a amplifier, connected to a transducer, then on the other side I have a receiving transducer which is connected back to channel 1 of the the BNC adapter. 

The waves get generated using waveform software and receiving if is also done on the software. My first problem is getting the delay time between transmission and the receiving transducer so I can calculate the thickness of the part. The only thing I can get is the change in amplitude. I wanted to ask if its possible to get time delay with this setup especially since I can not overlay the wavegen graph to the scope graph?

Also with this setup I would like to have a pulse echo setup of which I am also not sure if its possible, please advice.

Regards

Zamokuhle 

4 answers to this question

Hey @Zamokuhle

Newer devices like AD3 have an internal loopback that allows recapture of generated signals inside the device, but that's not supported on AD2 unfortunately.

If you're not using the second output and input channels of the AD2, you could use them to generate a second copy of the output signal and loop it back. The outputs would need the same settings and to be synchronized with 0 degrees of phase difference.

image.png

7 hours ago, Zamokuhle said:

Also with this setup I would like to have a pulse echo setup of which I am also not sure if its possible, please advice.

Could you elaborate on what you're looking for here? Additional custom computed measurements based on the transducer's response?

Thanks,

Arthur

image.png

Hi @attila

I have decided to buy the AD3, now I am able to get the time delay. 

Just a question, the setup (AD3 connected to BNC Adapter which from the wavegen side sends signal and receives with channels) is easy to use by putting transducers on each side of the part with one transmission and one receiving. I am trying to use a transducer that sends and receive, to cables from C1 and W1 go to a T-piece which connects to a transducer. What Noticed is that the T piece acts as a signal splitter and I am not really getting anything from the transducer, is there anything I can do on a software or I need a time delaying component (please advice on the component if so)

Regards

Zamokuhle