General question about AnalogDiscovery3

Gergö

Question

Hello,

Could anyone provide some general information about the AnalogDiscovery3? Specifically, I’m interested in the signal-to-noise ratio for a generated short pulse with a potential of 1-2V and a frequency of 100 MHz. Can this equipment generate such pulses, or is it more likely to achieve accurate pulses at 10 MHz?

I apologize if these questions seem basic; I am completely new to this topic and equipment.

Thank you in advance!

5 answers to this question

Do you want to generate 100MHz rectangular signal, with 5ns low and 5ns high ?
The AD3 system frequency is adjustable up to 125MHz. With this it could generate pulse up to 62.5MHz
As you can see in the earlier screenshots the rise/fall time are ~20ns so a 20 MHz square wave would be more like a sine wave than a square wave.
(The red square wave in the second screenshot was the digital loopback capture of AWG/DAC data, but the analog output is always slower, attenuated...)

See 5,10,20,25MHz square waves

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Szia @Gergö

I don't know what kind of pulses you want to generate and how to measure the SND on this.

Here is a 50ns pulse, captured with the AD3's scope, then with 2GHz 500MHz device with 10X probe then 50R termination:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Kedves Attila!
First of all, thank you for your answer!
I would like to generate rectangular pulses with an amplitude of 1-2V and a frequency of 10-100 MHz, and I am curious whether the pulse remains rectangular or if there are any irregularities, similar to those I observed with my old signal generator. As you can see, at 10 MHz, my signal generator already creates irregularities in the signal. I was wondering if this equipment can handle it properly. 

In the pictures you sent, are all the pulses supposed to be rectangular?

I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your help. I am very grateful!

Best regards, Geri

Signal_generator_old.png

Dear @attila
Thank you for your response!
Again sorry for the foolish question:
Can AD3 create such rectangular waves? I mean, i would be interested buying one if it could create a rectangular wave at 100 MHz. Is the second picture you have sent supposed to be a rectangular wave just as in the first as 50 ns pulse? Thank you in advance