TracerDAQ using Type K Thermocouples

Henry Ballard

Question

I'm using a Type K TC to measure flame temperature, the TC is designed for this with chrome plated connectors on a ceramic base.  Running this through an Omega OMB-DAQ-2408 board.  When cold I get reasonable temperatures, but not when it gets hot.  The data file reads -9999 every time step for this TC.

Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

First, is the channel's data rate property set to 50 or 60 Hz, depending on your power grid?  Assuming it's set correctly, at what temperature does it go from reasonable values to -9999, which is an open thermocouple indication? 

Using TracerDAQ, I have the scan rate set to 0.8 Hz.  On cycle start all TCs read 78F  as soon as flame is detected its TC drops steadily to -40, -200, -9999F.  Upon shutdown, it reads -453F and increases steadily to +301F, then cools as expected.  Readings from other locations appear to be correct.  I am trying to measure the flame temperature with a type K which is advertized to be good to 2500F @ 55 mV, and well within the 75 mV limit of the DAQ.  Thinking the TC was bad I double checked all the connections.   I took another TC and setup a bench test with a candle to see what would happen.  The same behavior.   

Is there a trick to measuring flame temperatures with Type K TC's.  What am I doing wrong?