Triggering issues and is my ADP3450 broken?

Val

Question

I have a Discovery 2 and ADP3450. I have been using Discovery 2 with Matlab  to send signals to two different systems (a trigger to an external recorder and a seismic source signal). I need those signals to be synchronized but when I checked the data I could see they were not (with a sampling rate of 1e4 it varied from 0 to 10 samples shift).

So I run a simple test when I output these signals from 2 channels in AD and input them into 2 input channels (see photos). In theory you should get the same output as you send in. And this is true for Deigilent 2 (see picture below). But the same set up shows absolute rubbish for ADP and also Matlab gives me a "lost samples" warning. 

So I have two questions:

1) Do output channels run on separate clocks? If so can I record a trigger time for each channel (Matlab has only one trigger time stamp output from what I can tell)

2) Is my ADP broken or is Matlab programming for it different? Or is it designed in a different way?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Best,V

dig2.thumb.png.d49af895c318c5ecf71f6a0c972baeb6.png

IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

2 answers to this question

Hi @Val

Are you using the latest WaveForms version ?

Is the ADP3X50 in standard boot mode ?
I have not tested the Matlab plugin but this should work better with newer WF and ADP3X50.

image.png

Posted (edited)

@attila yes, the ADP is in standard mode and I have just updated to the lates waveform software and nothing changed.

APD behavior in Matlab is extremely weird. In addition to having lost samples the output channel attempts to repeat the signal it just sent during a "buffer" time ( I add zeros to the end of the signal I send to allow the recording system to transfer the files). I have never seen Digilent 2 doing it. I sun exactly the same code and get different results with ADP and Digilent 2. See the picture attached - the red curve is what I send to the output channel. And I connect this output channel to one of the input Chanels and get the yellow curve.d2.png.d6861b07f4bad99978b08d3b1d177700.png

Edited by Val