Navigating Alias links doesn't work in Open Project dialog

PaulGlass

Question

On Macos when navigating to a project file to open, double clicking on an alias to a folder. The Open Project folder does properly navigate if the folder item is the actual folder, but not if it is an alias. Navigating through aliases generally works on Mac software, but doesn't in the case of Waveforms. This same behaviour seems to be the same for other Waveforms file dialogs, although I haven't tried all of them.

Note that what happens is that it simply saves the file in whatever folder contains the alias, instead of navigating into wherever the alias points.

7 answers to this question

Hi Fausto,

Using V3.22.18 on Macos 12.7.02. Not sure that screen captures really tell the story, but I've attached something for you. One screenshot shows the Save Project dialog, with an alias shown. Double-clicking on that alias (which should open whatever folder that alias points to) instead just goes ahead and saves the project in the same folder where the alias is located (in this case, the Desktop). The 2nd screenshot shows the project file on the desktop with the alias, which isn't the expected result.

Cheers,

Paul

Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 9.52.16 am.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-22 at 9.55.18 am.png

Hello @PaulGlass.

Thank you for the images.

An 'alias' is a link, not an actual folder when using MACs; similar to 'shortcut' is a link in Windows.  That is why WaveForms saved the workspace to the 'Look In' folder for Save Project.

Save the WaveForms' workspace to an actual folder location.

Regards,

Fausto

That's fine, I'm just pointing out that essentially all Mac apps I've run across will navigate through an alias--an alias is a "pointer" to another resource, be it a file or a folder. The operation of Waveforms in this regard reads as a bug, but if this is an intentional feature that's fine.

Hi @PaulGlass

This seems to be a bug in the cross-platform file dialog, which is 3rd party and can't be corrected.
If I remember correctly I choose to use this to have identical dialogs on all platforms.
The next version will add an application option for native dialog.