ADP2230 - wavegen CH2 (V+) bandwidth question

jakubdr

Question

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying ADP2230 and trying the software functions of waveforms SW (in DEMO mode for now). I was interested in the possibility of generating a frequency greater than 2.5Hz in the CH2 channel (v+). The datasheet gives the value of 2.5Hz as the maximum. Is it really possible to use higher frequencies on this power supply channel? Channel CH3 (v-) is limited in dropdown selection to 2.5Hz.

Regards Jakub

ADP2230.png

5 answers to this question

Hi @jakubdr

Currently you could use custom waveform with multiple periods to generate higher frequencies.
Like in the first pic 3 periods at 2Hz to obtain 6Hz. The 'firmware' has a slew control to prevent overshoots on V+/- which is visible in the second pic 7.5Hz (3x2.5Hz)
(For this tests I used a 22R to discharge the output caps.)
For the next software version I'll try to remove or speed up the slew limitation for V+/- AWG.
What max frequency would you need ?

image.png

image.png

Hello @attila,

thank you for the quick response. I was just wondering if the CH2(V+) output is modulated by, for example, some amplifier that can handle higher frequencies (kHz, as shown by the dropdown control). But it was just a question. I understand it's the power source and not the AWG. I have to decide between AD3 and this one. The two wave generators are tempting, as is the  memory buffer.

Jakub

Hi @jakubdr

The AD3 and ADP2230 adjustable supplies are almost identical, the later one having additional output protection circuitry.
Now for ADP2230 I added filter option, to be able to disable slew rate limitation, and adjustment for this in the Supplies tool. Similar options we can add later also for AD3.
The V+/- AWGs support standard, custom signals, play/streaming mode and in-device source from Scope raw, average or filtered data.

The maximum frequency is limited by the load, voltage. Here 2.7R can discharge the caps at 250Hz (pic1) but not at 500Hz (pic2)
From firmware the update rate is limited by the SPI DAC 200/400kHz update but the regulators ramp about 2ms (pic3)

image.png

image.png

image.png

Posted (edited)

Hi @attila,

thank you for the detailed explanation. From the above, can I assume that the control signal of the power supply (probably OPA197 input - as seen in the EEVblog 1596 video) will contain a clean signal up to 200kHz? And one more question: Eclypse Z7 is now supported by WaveForms. Do you plan to support this development kit by WaveForms in the future? 

Regards, Jakub

Edited by jakubdr

Hi @jakubdr

On AD3 and ADP2230 the user supply voltage settings and AWG offset(s) are controlled by the same quad DAC, so the bandwidth of this is shared between these channels. Looking at the CS for ADP2230, the update rate is ~370kHz.
Yes, EclypseZ7 with Zmod Scope, AWG, Digitizer, SDR are and will be supported since the Zmod testing/calibration uses WaveForms.