Troubleshooting dual DT9837As - Clock sync problem?

CBliss

Question

I have two DT 9837A units being used simultaneously. They are connected to each other via ethernet patch cable, and to a computer running QuickDAQ via USB cables. On a fresh QuickDAQ software configuration, when each of two modules is used separately, there are no problems. All is good. However, when both modules are connected and being used, the units won't process data with all 8 channels active. If both units are connected and selected in QuickDAQ, and only the channels on Unit 1 are selected to be active, it works as intended. My assumption is that this is a synchronization problem from the master Unit 1 to slave Unit 2.

Some troubleshooting I've done so far:

• Verified each module works independently
  • Verified all channels of each module function
  • Replaced the ethernet patch cable between modules
  • Replaced the USB cables
  • Set Unit 2 as master. Activated only channels on this module.
    • No problem if only Unit 2's channels are active, but again, it does not function if channels from both units are selected.

Both these modules were used in the field last week without problem, and then they suddenly started acting up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions for toubleshooting.

C

4 answers to this question

Hello @CBliss.

Were both modules reconnected to a different Windows system when you noticed this issue or "just noticed issue overnight" without disconnecting the USB and ethernet cables?

Which version(s) of Windows on your system(s)?

Which version(s) of QuickDAQ on your system(s)?

Which version(s) of the DT9837A driver on your system(s)?

Are you using a saved preconfigured QuickDAQ configuration .xml file or do you update the options in QuickDAQ each time?  Try deleting the configuration file and copy/pasting a known good configuration file to retest with the modules.  The .xml configuration file resides in the "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Data Translation\QuickDAQ\Config" hidden folder.

Please reply with screen captures (i.e. QuickDAQ configuration) and hardware pictures as well to get a visual understanding.

Regards,

Fausto

18 hours ago, Fausto said:

Hello @CBliss.

Were both modules reconnected to a different Windows system when you noticed this issue or "just noticed issue overnight" without disconnecting the USB and ethernet cables?

Which version(s) of Windows on your system(s)?

Which version(s) of QuickDAQ on your system(s)?

Which version(s) of the DT9837A driver on your system(s)?

Are you using a saved preconfigured QuickDAQ configuration .xml file or do you update the options in QuickDAQ each time?  Try deleting the configuration file and copy/pasting a known good configuration file to retest with the modules.  The .xml configuration file resides in the "C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Data Translation\QuickDAQ\Config" hidden folder.

Please reply with screen captures (i.e. QuickDAQ configuration) and hardware pictures as well to get a visual understanding.

Regards,

Fausto

The modules were reconnected to a different system (a coworker's laptop) when the problem first occurred, but since being connected back to the original system (my laptop) the problem has persisted.

Windows 10, OS Build 19045.4046

QuickDAQ version 3.7.0.49

Driver version 7.0.0.9

I have replaced the QuickDAQ configuration with a known working one.

As visible in the attached screenshot, QuickDAQ stays at the status of "Acquiring Data" but does not record any data, despite being a free run with continuous acquisition enabled. I'm doing this demonstration with no other equipment connected to the modules for the sake of simplicity, but the problem still occurs with equipment connected.

During Recording.jpg

Pre-recording.jpg

QuickDAQ while recording.jpg

QuickDAQ configuration.jpg

Hello @CBliss.

Thank you for the additional information and images.

Please inspect the RJ45 port on each DT9837A module.  Any debris or damaged leads?

On 3/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, CBliss said:

Replaced the ethernet patch cable between modules

Did you use the same type of ethernet patch cable?

If the cable was custom-made in-house, then please try an off-the-shelf cable.

Next, create a new configuration in QuickDAQ, using both modules and selecting only one analog input channel from each module.  Do you still have that issue?  

Regards,

Fausto

No debris or damage to either unit's leads. Some leads are minorly more bent/worn than the others, but engagement is still good between the cables and the jack.

All the cables are off-the-shelf. A total of 16 were tested on a new configuration as you suggested, and interestingly enough one worked correctly, repeatedly. The other cables produced the same problem as before. The cables were then tested through a switch and into my computer to provide LAN via ethernet, and the cables performed as intended and successfully provided internet connection.

I will attempt a gentle cleaning of the units' jack and leads in the event that there is a small amount of debris blocking the connection, which the tolerance between RJ45 male plugs may be compensating for.