Oscilloscope for Nexys 4

jc2694

Question

Hello,

I am currently constructing a numerically controlled oscillator or DDS out of the Xilinx Nexys 4 FPGA. I was wondering what is the maximum bit rate output of the board would be so that I can purchase an oscilloscope to match that. Sofar the documentation that I have found does not explicitly state that. If someone on this forum would be able to assist me that would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Jean-Christophe

2 answers to this question

Hi JC2694,

The short answer is you want to get the best scope that your budget allows. 

But for a more complete answer, the document you want is http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds181_Artix_7_Data_Sheet.pdf - in particular table 15.

"DDR LVDS transmitter (using OSERDES; DATA_WIDTH = 4 to 14) is between 960Mb/s and 1250Mb/s, depending on speed grade."

However, you are very unlikely to use these speeds (or be able to afford a Oscope that can work at them). There are tools like Xilinx's ChipScope that allow you to see what the signals look like on the inside of the the FPGA.

FYI, The Nexys4 has a speed grade 1 part, meaning that the maximum transmission rate of the OSERDES core is 960 Mbps (as hamster cited).

Another note: the only differential output standard supported by the Nexys4 is TMDS33, because the banks are all powered to 3.3V. The only other option is single-ended signaling. Depending on your design, this probably puts your realistic output signaling rate well below 200 MHz.

--Sam

Archived